Answered

Beam Gen 2 loses audio randomly

• 2 January 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a Philips 50PUS7505/12 and just purchased a Beam Gen 2 which is connected via HDMI ARC.

I have set the TV settings to allow CEC and ARC on. I have set Philips TV to Multichannel (Bypass) and everything is working perfectly from my Fire TV 4K Max. 

however every so often, I think when I play Dolby atmos films on fire tv apps (Apple TV app, Netflix’s, Disney Plus) , I lose all sound through the beam. 

the only way to get sound back is to switch TV multichannel off and back on again.

it works and the. Couple days off again.

Is this a known issue?

is this because I have ARC HDMI and not EARC?

is this a Philips Issue, Fire TV Issue or Sonos. 

please help

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 January 2023, 11:13

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ashley1989 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

First, I recommend ensuring that the TV, Sonos and the Fire TV are all fully up-to-date.

Next, unplug them all from power for at least a couple of minutes.

Test again - if the issue persists, please try testing the same movie/show from another source, if possible (TV app vs FireTV app, for example). Keep an eye on the Sonos currently playing screen for which format is in use.

the only way to get sound back is to switch TV multichannel off and back on again.

it works and the. Couple days off again.

Is this a known issue?

What’s “TV multichannel”? Is this a setting in the TV’s menu? If a TV setting being toggled off/on fixes the issue, I would suggest that the TV is perhaps the cause of the issue.

is this because I have ARC HDMI and not EARC?

HDMI-ARC is fine - you can’t use lossless formats without eARC, but you wouldn’t get those from online sources anyway.

is this a Philips Issue, Fire TV Issue or Sonos. 

I’d be inclined to blame the TV or the Fire TV - not because they’re not Sonos, but because your Beam will generally play what it’s been given - the TV and Fire TV have format settings, which means they will adjust the audio to some degree, or change their behaviour depending on it’s details.

I think it could also just be a HDMI-CEC conflict, however, which means no-one is to blame, really. Try disabling all CEC features (they tend to relate to power, volume and input switching) on the Fire TV to see if that clears the problem.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your message. I actually reinstalled my TV back to factory settings and reset this up and I’m on 3rd day without any problems. I’m hoping this stays fixed but as it was intermittent before, it’s difficult to determine if it is fixed or just waiting game for the next time. I’ll update in a few days to see where we are. Really appreciate your support and clear steps to try. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ashley1989 

Fingers crossed, and you are very welcome!