Answered

Beam (Gen 1) screen blackout with sound cut on samsung TV

Hi,

I’ve just received a reconditionned Beam Gen 1, I’ve plugged it in to my SAMSUNG UE49KU6450 TV (on the ARC HDMI plug) with an apple TV and a PS4 on the other two HDMI plugs.

On the Apple TV the screen goes black and the sound cuts for 1-2 seconds quite often, on the PS4 it’s different, I just get sent to the TV source (disconnected from all HDMI sources) and have to change the source back to PS4 but it’s pretty rare (I would say once every 5-6 hours).

This did not happen before I installed the Beam, I disconnected everything, and left just the Beam and the Apple TV and I still have the problem, I also changed the HDMI cable of the Apple TV and this did not change anything either (I’m using the HDMI cable given by Sonos for the Beam).

I’ve turned off the TV and unplugged it for a couple hours (as asked on another thread) and I’ve checked and there’s no updates for my TV and the Apple TV is up to date (the Beam is up to date too).

Thanks for your help!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 December 2022, 05:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Sounds like there is something odd going on with the CEC connection between the various devices. I’d start with a couple of things. 

First, check the TV set for updates. Once you’ve done that, reboot the TV by unplugging it from the wall for a couple of minutes, before plugging it back in.

Check all the other devices for updates while you’re at it, it can’t hurt, and may help. I’d be tempted to test the connection after turning off CEC on all devices, in case there’s some conflict there. Test each device separately, though. If you need to, at some point, get one of the CEC blocking adapters, of one of the devices you have connected to the TV is causing the issue. 

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your reply, I’ve checked the TV for updates and it is up to date.
I’ve rebooted it (unplugged it for 30 minutes).
Apple TV and PS4 are up to date.

I can’t turn off CEC on all devices, on Samsung it’s call Anynet+, if I deactivate it, the beam is disconnected and I can’t use it as an audio source.

Any other ideas other than adding CEC blocking adaptaters?

Thanks

I’m really not sure if the CEC blocking adapters will really work, but it does seem like there is some sort of conflict being presented to the computer in the TV responsible for handling CEC connections. I use a Apple TV as well, although through a Vizio TV, and don’t have this issue. I’ve given up my PS series for XBox devices, I fear. So if you go that route, try blocking the PS4 first, and see if it’s the device sending the errant commands. Or, for that matter, see if there’s a setting on it that you can turn off CEC on it. That might work, too. 

What year is that TV set from? I’m wondering if the CEC computer in it just can’t be updated with the latest implementation of CEC. Have you contacted Samsung’s support?

Or submitted a diagnostic from the Sonos app, and contacted Sonos Support yet? I’m not 100% sure that something would show up in the Sonos diagnostic, but it’s worth a shot, for sure. 

I’ve tried without the PS4 plugged in and still have the problem so the problem comes from the TV or the Apple TV.
The TV is from april 2017, I’ll contact Samsung and Sonos and see what they can tell me.

Thanks again for your help!

Interesting. I’d probably had put money, if I were a betting man, on the PS4. Just goes to show you :)

Then yea, the TV is the likely culprit, but at the least, sending in that diagnostic and calling Sonos will confirm or deny a software issue. Although it would be odd to have one unique to you. 

Please, if you find the time, keep us posted here. Learning new things is always a good thing. 

Best of luck!

Hi,

To give a little update, as the problem was seemingly coming from the AppleTV, I contacted Sonos who asked me to test different things, the blackouts did not happen if I was not using the AppleTV, so I unplugged the AppleTV, installed all the streaming services directly on the TV and stopped using the AppleTV, no more problems.

I know it’s not really a solution but it’s easier for me to do this then try everything to make it work.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

To give a little update, as the problem was seemingly coming from the AppleTV, I contacted Sonos who asked me to test different things, the blackouts did not happen if I was not using the AppleTV, so I unplugged the AppleTV, installed all the streaming services directly on the TV and stopped using the AppleTV, no more problems.

I know it’s not really a solution but it’s easier for me to do this then try everything to make it work.

Thanks for your help!

One thing you could try, perhaps (if not tested already), is using the Apple TV with its HDMI-CEC disabled in the settings on that box (In the ATV device settings - goto ‘Remotes & Devices/Control TV’s & Receivers’ and set it to ‘OFF’) - NB you must restart the Apple TV box for the setting-change to become effective.

You will then need the Apple TV Remote to control the Apple TV too. If the TV’s own remote can still be used to navigate the ATV menus etc; then the setting hasn’t worked and you may need to try again and reboot the box one more time.

What would certainly work even better for this situation, is to also add an HDMI CEC-Less adapter to the cable between the Apple TV and the main TV. See this link:

CEC-Less Adapter

Then see if all works okay after that with your TV and Sonos HT product.

(edit: I should have mentioned aswell to turn off volume control by CEC too in the ATV settings, or use infrared - Try both and see which works best, but don’t use Auto. See attached screenshot).

Hi Ken,

thanks for the suggestion, I’ve tried but can’t seem to deactivate CEC on the AppleTV, I’ve tried multiple times turning it off and restarting three AppleTV and the TV but I can always use the Samsung remote to control the AppleTV.

I don’t know if it’s the AppleTV or the Samsung TV but something is wrong with CEC.

Thanks!

Hi Ken,

thanks for the suggestion, I’ve tried but can’t seem to deactivate CEC on the AppleTV, I’ve tried multiple times turning it off and restarting three AppleTV and the TV but I can always use the Samsung remote to control the AppleTV.

I don’t know if it’s the AppleTV or the Samsung TV but something is wrong with CEC.

Thanks!

It’s likely the Apple TV - I’ve seen the issue too - I switched to using a Nvidia Shield instead, but I’m fairly confident the CEC-less adapter would resolve your issue (famous last words😂 - ha ha) it’s a matter for yourself though if you want to try that, but it’s one of the reasons why that HDMI adapter was probably made in the first place, as some devices just don’t allow CEC to be disabled.

I connected a new Beam (Gen 2) to the HDMI - ARC connection of my Samsung UE40MU6400 TV. I also started to get screen blackouts intermittently when viewing TV via the Virgin Media box. Tried various, eventually decided to reset TV back to factory default settings. Had to set-up TV again from scratch, including re inputting of my Samsung account details. Towards the final part of the set-up procedure there is an (you must use the Samsung Smart Remote to progress any further) identify connected devices screen. Since doing this no further issues.

Hey everyone,

so I had to try, I bought a cec less adaptator, tried and still have the same problem, I tried the adaptator on the ps4 just to make sure it wasn’t faulty and it works as intended, so it’s something else than the cec…

if I find anything new I’ll let you know!

thanks !

Hey everyone,

so I had to try, I bought a cec less adaptator, tried and still have the same problem, I tried the adaptator on the ps4 just to make sure it wasn’t faulty and it works as intended, so it’s something else than the cec…

if I find anything new I’ll let you know!

thanks !

You mentioned earlier that it was the Apple TV that you could not disable CEC🤔? Perhaps try the CEC-less adaptor on/with that device instead.

Oh sorry for the misunderstanding, I tried it on the AppleTV, but because it wasn’t solving the problem, I tried the adaptator on the ps4 to make sure it wasn’t the adaptator that was faulty, and on the ps4 it blocked cec no problem so that is why I’m thinking it’s coming from something else.

Oh sorry for the misunderstanding, I tried it on the AppleTV, but because it wasn’t solving the problem, I tried the adaptator on the ps4 to make sure it wasn’t the adaptator that was faulty, and on the ps4 it blocked cec no problem so that is why I’m thinking it’s coming from something else.

Maybe try temporarily removing the PS4 and adding the CEC-less adapter to the Apple TV (or vice versa) and see what happens in that case (or simply disconnect both devices) it may help you to narrow things down a little. If neither resolve the issue, I would speak with Samsung Support and see what they can suggest and/or submit a Sonos system diagnostic and either note/post it’s reference back here …and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the issue.

Hello all,

So I’ve changed TV and was able to test it again, the problem was coming from the HDMI plug, it was loose and causes a contact failure.

Words perfectly now.

Thanks for your help !