Beam (Gen 1) Error 30 when updating

Hi all

Im at wits end and at a loss as I keep receiving an error 30 message when trying to update my Sonos Beam (gen 1). I have gone through all the steps in the help and support page; hard reboot of modem and beam, restore to facotry settings, plugged into the router, connected via ethernet to the network (the disable wifi option on the app was greyed out as the Beam cannot be setup to error 30), reset the app setting, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, tried the update via the PC and nothing beyond the damned error 30 message! Running S2 as the Beam is compatible with it. Asked at some point to upgrade to S2 from S1

Please help if you can as the Beam has worked perfectly until now.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Anyone?

There’s not enough information to know for sure, it would be useful to know how the Beam is connected to your router, what router you’re using, etc.

An error 30 usually means the Beam is being blocked in some manner in reaching the Sonos download server to get the latest download. Common reasons for that are aVPN, or sometimes some sort of virus software blocking access. It can even be an indicator of simple wifi interference where the Beam can’t maintain a clean connection to the router to grab the more dense update ‘package’.

Things I’d be trying:

1. Turn off any VPN and virus protection software temporarily, just long enough to update your system. Once it’s updated, you can turn it back on.
  2. Temporarily wire an Ethernet cable between your router and the Beam.
  3. Unplug the Beam from power, then reboot the router. Wait 5 minutes before plugging back in the Beam. This should clear any potential duplicate IP address issues that might be interrupting the download process on the Beam.
  4. Try the update again. If it fails yet again, submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thanks for your reply

In answer

1)No VPN or virus protection software in play.
2) Have tried it into an ethernet port and directly to router - error 30
3) Not waited for 5 minutes but have done the rest
4) Spent over an hour with a very helpful support agent this afternoon and still no luck. She couldnt even see the Beam as online her end depsite it being on and the LED light being in the correct colour :(

I have contacted my ISP who provided the router as a last resort

Once again thanks again for taking the time to reply. I will try the 5 minutes and see

The fact that the Sonos rep couldn’t ‘see’ the Beam is a good indication that, for some reason, the Beam can’t see the internet. 

It’s possible that there is a duplicate IP address issue, which that reboot process may help fix, but usually, depending on the router’s normal IP refresh process, that really shouldn’t last over several days. Keep us posted, please. And good luck!

Just out of curiosity, who is the ISP and what make/model is the router?

@Polynike,
Maybe try using the Google & Cloudflare DNS servers instead of the ISPs DNS (eg. 8.8.8.8 / 1.1.1.1), if the router allows you to do that and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks to everyone that helped or commented

I sorted the issue by taking the beam to a family members house with different hardware (router) and pushed the update there. The ISP confirmed there is an issue with Sonos and some of their routers and despite them pushing some security changes I couldnt push the update through. Thankfully all is working well now and no error 30 to be seen!

I sorted the issue by taking the beam to a family members house with different hardware (router) and pushed the update there. The ISP confirmed there is an issue with Sonos and some of their routers and despite them pushing some security changes I couldnt push the update through. Thankfully all is working well now and no error 30 to be seen!

Until the next Sonos update (perhaps?) - what router is it @Polynike?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Which company is your ISP?

And, going back to my question, who is the ISP?

Router is a ZTE ZXHN F688

ISP is Gibfibre a local company

Until the next Sonos update (perhaps?) - what router is it @Polynike?

I know what to do now. ISP is working on it according to their last