Skip to main content

Hi I own Beam 2 a pair of Era 100 configured as Surround. If I listen to music from IPad or IPhone or even from Sonos app the music comes out of both the beam 2 and the speakers. If I do the same with my Apple TV 4K I hear the sound come out only from Beam 2 and the surround channels emit almost nothing or very low. While movies have no problems… Why doesn’t the Apple TV make the audio sound like the iPad in Bluetooth? Thanks. Andrea.

A lot of programming has very little surround info.

A lot of programming has very little surround info.

Ok Thanks.

Andrea.

Hi @Flyflot 

Thanks for your post!

Good question! The clue can be found in surround settings for the Beam (2) - there are two surround levels, one for music, one for TV. Beam (2) knows the difference and knows that stereo music audio will never include surround channels, so if the right setting is on, the Beam (2) will mirror the stereo channels on the surrounds, at the level you specify.

When it comes to TV audio, however, the Beam has no idea what is playing - it might be music, it might be a movie. It might be a movie with music playing. When the incoming feed is surround sound, the Beam will not alter it in terms of where channels go (unless you don’t have surrounds). If a stereo feed is coming from the TV, Beam will try it’s best to determine what audio - if any - should be coming from the rears (up-mixing), but results can vary. When the input is music only, it tends to just come from the surrounds at a much lower lever.

In short, what you report experiencing is expected and intended behaviour. To change anything, you’d need to get the Apple TV to up-mix audio - but I’m not sure if it can or not (I know my nVidia Shield has the option). I suspect the results would be similar to our own up-mixing.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Flyflot 

Thanks for your post!

Good question! The clue can be found in surround settings for the Beam (2) - there are two surround levels, one for music, one for TV. Beam (2) knows the difference and knows that stereo music audio will never include surround channels, so if the right setting is on, the Beam (2) will mirror the stereo channels on the surrounds, at the level you specify.

When it comes to TV audio, however, the Beam has no idea what is playing - it might be music, it might be a movie. It might be a movie with music playing. When the incoming feed is surround sound, the Beam will not alter it in terms of where channels go (unless you don’t have surrounds). If a stereo feed is coming from the TV, Beam will try it’s best to determine what audio - if any - should be coming from the rears (up-mixing), but results can vary. When the input is music only, it tends to just come from the surrounds at a much lower lever.

In short, what you report experiencing is expected and intended behaviour. To change anything, you’d need to get the Apple TV to up-mix audio - but I’m not sure if it can or not (I know my nVidia Shield has the option). I suspect the results would be similar to our own up-mixing.

I hope this helps.

ok thank you very much you explained it very well…