Question

Audio delayed to the video (Sonos Beam)

• 2 September 2020
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey guys, how are you?

Please tell me that there is a solution for Audio delayed, on my SONOS BEAM + TCL 50DP648.
The audio is always behind the picture.
This is my first SONOS, I liked it a lot, I don't want to return it.
But the delayed audio problem bothers me a lot.

researching here and there, I arrived at this item to solve.

Can you tell me if this will really solve it?

I found this item: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proster-Digital-Converter-Dolby-AC3-Bi-directional/dp/B07JBWW5PB/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=PROZOR+Digital+Coaxial+to+Optical+SPDIF+Toslink+Converter+Support+DTS%2FDolby-AC3+192KHz+Bi-directional+Digital+Audio+Converter+with+Optical+Cable&qid=1599044108&sr=8-1

hope I can solve it. Thanks so much!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That TV has optical output, just use it instead of HDMI-ARC (with the adapter included), no need to buy anything additional. Some TVs screw up the audio over HDMI-ARC by adding a processing delay, and it sounds like yours is one of them.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for your reply. My TCL has just S/Pdif. it helps?

Userlevel 1
Badge

just to let you know, I tried to use the TV's  S/Pdif port, connecting the adapter that came with BEAM, on the adapter I connected to BEAM using the supplied HDMI cable. This did not solve it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

just to let you know, I tried to use the TV's  S/Pdif port, connecting the adapter that came with BEAM, on the adapter I connected to BEAM using the supplied HDMI cable. This did not solve it.

If a direct optical connection doesn’t work, you need a new TV then. I don’t believe I have heard of any delay on optical before, on any TV. I’m not even sure how that is possible as it should be a pure-hardware signal path with little opportunity for software to screw up.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I bought an optical cable to test. tomorrow I will post the result.

If a direct optical connection doesn’t work, you need a new TV then. I don’t believe I have heard of any delay on optical before, on any TV. I’m not even sure how that is possible as it should be a pure-hardware signal path with little opportunity for software to screw up.

It depends on the TV’s audio settings. Many (most?) allow delay on the optical to be increased. Some also allow it to be decreased, i.e. moved ahead of the picture, which is handy to compensate for Bluetooth for example.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I bought an optical cable to test. tomorrow I will post the result.

Earlier you said “ I tried to use the TV's  S/Pdif port, connecting the adapter that came with BEAM “ - how did you do that without an optical cable?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I used the adapter that came with BEAM, and I put the HDMI cable in it.

The adapter has an optical side and an HDMI side.
This did not solve it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

and about this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JBWW5PB?ref_=pe_780071_41837251_dpLink

Userlevel 1
Badge

I did several tests here. I come to the conclusion that this TCL sucks.

The problem is with the TV.
I plugged BEAM in my old Apple TV that has S/Pdif, the audio is perfect. No delays.
But this Apple TV is not 4K.

I will solve my problem buying a 4K ROKU with S/Pdidf for streaming. and I believe I am satisfied.

Hi! I recently bought a Sonos Beam for my new Sony XBR65X900H. Ugh, there’s a slight sound delay! I’ve been reading the posts and I’m really confused as to how to fix this problem. Is it fixable? Or should I return the TV. Or the Sonos? Any help would be greatly appreciated - I’m really a novice at the electronics and was hoping to just plug and play. So sad that this is requiring technical expertise. Thanks in advance!

It isn’t the Sonos, it plays the sound as soon as it comes in from the TV.

You may want to check your TV to see if there are any software updates for it. And take a look at any settings in the TV’s audio area that may be causing extra processing delay. You want the TV to be as close to be direct pass through as possible. 

OK thanks! I’ll try that.