Skip to main content
Answered

Audio delay

• 26 October 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi, I have a slight but annoying audio delay. The lips of onscreen actors/news anchors is faster than the audio. Also, when pausing a show and then resuming the episode a short time later, the audio does not resume sometimes up to 10 seconds. I use Bluetooth for my (two) Sonos one SL’s, an arc and amp. In Sonos app settings, delay playback is off. 
I have high speed internet in the house. Router is next to the arc. All the speakers are contained in the family room. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I use Bluetooth for my (two) Sonos one SL’s, an arc and amp.

How do you mean? The TV should be wired to the Arc using an HDMI cable.

Sorry, yes the arc is hard wired. 

In the SONOS controller you can adjust the lip sync. Many TV’s and cable boxes also allow adjustment.

If you supply model numbers someone may have experience with your models.

I find that lip sync tends to vary from program to program. This variation is beyond user control.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What service are you using as a source?

Are you pausing long enough for the Arc to go into sleep mode? (Does it do that when paused?)

Maybe a volume up/down click to see if it wakes up?

Using xfinity high speed wifi. Pausing for up to 3 minutes. You miss the audio for 5-10 seconds. Tried the volume adjustment to no avail. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

In your original post you say you use Bluetooth for your Sonos One SL’s. I don’t think the Ones support Bluetooth. 

Can you please explain what devices you have connected to what source, and how they are connected. Are any Sonos devices connected to your network via Ethernet cable or are they all running wifi?

You also say all speakers are contained in the family room. What “rooms” have you set up for this many Sonos devices? Are you running any speakers as surrounds or is Arc a room, the Amp another room, and the Ones yet another room?

If you are grouping some “rooms” to play tv audio to other speakers than your HDMI-connected Arc, there will be a delay for tv audio to any grouped room. That will appear to be a lip-sync issue to those speakers. 

Hi Nik, you’re correct about the Bluetooth. It’s actually WiFi for the One SL’s and sub woofer. Arc is hard wired. All speakers contained in family room. Left and right One SL’s attached to upper wall behind couch, sub woofer and amp next to the tv on the floor and arc directly below tv on a stand. Sonos Amp has wired speakers attached to it for Klipsch speakers to our backyard deck. Not used for Sonos indoor speakers. 
Surround sound for One SL’s, arc and sub woofer. 
We use Xfinity high speed internet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Forgetting the Internet, what source is your sound coming from?

Amazon

Chromecast

Other external device?

Internal TV choice?

???

Direct tv, Netflix, Disney +, Spotify, Amazon prime