Skip to main content
Answered

Asymmetrical surrounds with better spread or symmetrical with smaller spread?

• 23 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I'm new to Sonos and surround systems, and I'm planning a 5.1 setup with Arc, Sub gen 3 and two Ikea Symfonisk speakers, either picture frames or lamp stands.

Problem is, I have a doorway in the perfect spot for the right surround. Is it better to place the surrounds asymmetrically further apart (1), or closer together, symmetrically (2)?

The system will be used for movies and playing music in the entire living room/kitchen. Because of the latter, I was thinking it would be an advantage to put the surround speakers as far into both corners as possible (to “fill” the room), is this correct?

Please excuse the crude drawing, but I hope it illustrates my conundrum. Thank you very much!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Number 2.  There’s enough distance from the wall to the seating area to allow for dispersal, and 3.5 meters is more than enough distance between the two surrounds. 

Badge

Number 2.  There’s enough distance from the wall to the seating area to allow for dispersal, and 3.5 meters is more than enough distance between the two surrounds. 

Thanks for the reply! I see a lot of people saying this is correct placement for rears, and not surrounds, but in this setup, would it matter?

What about sound dispersal throughout the room with music (during parties etc)? Wouldn’t it be an advantage to spread the speakers more?

Thanks for the reply! I see a lot of people saying this is correct placement for rears, and not surrounds, but in this setup, would it matter?

What about sound dispersal throughout the room with music (during parties etc)? Wouldn’t it be an advantage to spread the speakers more?

In a 5.1.2 arrangement, the rears are surrounds.  As for music, unless you want nightclub level output, I think you will be fine.  The Arc/Sub/surrounds output will easily rattle dishes and vibrate the furniture if you turn it up enough.