Arc - with a TV on a stand

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m thinking of getting an Arc and a 65” TV but I’m failing at the first hurdle.  I cannot find a TV with enough room under the screen to fit an Arc underneath (without blocking the screen).  Even one of the Sonos marketing photos shows the Arc looking like it is slightly higher than the bottom of the TV.  I don’t want the hassle of wall mounting and don't really want to buy a bespoke stand as they seem a bit hit and miss.
Considering how many people own Arcs surely there is a solution I’m overlooking?  The TV will be on a cabinet (much like most of the Sonos marketing photos).
Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Acer99 

Thanks for your post!

Short of saying to make sure the bottom of a TV’s screen is at least 87mm (3.4”) above the surface it’s sitting on, I’m not sure what I can tell you.

I recently mounted my TV on the wall and it’s great - you could do so only slightly above the cabinet and still locate your Arc on top of the cabinet. You would have to pay close attention to even notice that the TV was wall-mounted (if it were on feet, they would be hidden by the Arc anyway). Swivel mounts are a pain to set up, but I have used the non-swivel type and it was extremely easy, as is taking it down again.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

You could buy something like the IKEA LACK wall shelf to raise the tv a little on the cabinet.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lack-wall-shelf-black-brown-40103633/#content 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Short of saying to make sure the bottom of a TV’s screen is at least 87mm (3.4”) above the surface it’s sitting on, I’m not sure what I can tell you.

I guess this is the issue.  I cannot find a single TV that meets that criteria.  So for everyone that doesn’t want to wall mount there is the headache of getting it to work.

Or put another way, I cannot buy a TV and Arc and simply plonk them on a bit of furniture.  I find that surprising.  I’m relatively willing to find a solution but I’d be surprised that most customers are.  

Short of remanufacturing the Arc to be less tall, exactly why is this Sonos’ problem to solve?  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Short of remanufacturing the Arc to be less tall, exactly why is this Sonos’ problem to solve?

If it really sounds like I’m asking Sonos to solve this problem I apologise.  I’m simply wondering how everyone who buys an Arc who doesn't wall mount it (which I assume to be the majority) actually sets it up it?  Surely people don't accept the Arc blocking off the bottom of the screen?

The best idea so far is using an Ikea shelf which may work (sizing / colour match to check) but I just assumed that there would be a better, neater way.  Maybe not.

There are also replacement feet/stands that mount to the VESA connections in the back of the the TV which are higher than the standard feet.  Search for television risers at Amazon.  

Here are some possibilities.

I suggest that ARC be placed in front of the TV. If not, allow at least 4” of space above ARC.

Virtually any stand’s base will extend in front of the TV and ARC will sit on this base. I think that a flat base will be easier to manage than “legs”,

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I made a simple booster-box to raise my last TV enough to clear my old speakers.

This TV I put on a Sanus mount that is far more stable and adds easy to make adjustments compared to my old stand.

Speaking personally, I used to (wait, i still do with one TV) use the Lack suggestion from IKEA, with two 1 foot models holding up the larger version (3 foot? 5 foot? I’m too lazy to go look) which gives me “hidden” space to run the cables to the center of the speaker, so I don’t need to look at them.

For my living room, a good friend made some really attractive “pucks” of wood for me, that elevate the TV stand ever so slightly (somewhere between 2” and 3” if memory serves) in order to fit the Arc at the bottom of the TV set.  At one point, I was using hockey pucks and / or those rubber feet for under couches, but it required several to get the height needed, and I wasn’t overly excited with stability, as I had a cat at the time, and she loved to jump up on the cabinet. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Many thanks for the suggestions / solutions.

For an LG C1 65” with a Sonos Arc in front, i bought a pair of these monitor risers from staples canada. Using a pair for the tv has the added advantage of creating a gap in the middle for the Arc cables to go straight back under the TV.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2963251-en-dac-stax-mp-107-height-adjustable-monitor-riserlaptop-stand-for-computer-screenslaptopsprinters-black

Badge

I have a Sony XR65A8OK (65”) TV, stand mounted. I seem to remember that, with the legs in the high position on the Sony, an Arc would fit between the legs and be lower than the TV screen. It could probably fit under theTV, too, but that’s not advisable.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I bought a tv stand from a brand called Cavus with a mount for the Arc because I'm not allowed to wall mount and the Arc didn't fit between the original legs.

I don't know if I help you with this information but if it's not maybe it is helpful for future other readers.