Answered

Arc volume increasing and decreasing on its own

• 22 February 2024
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

I have the Sonos Arc as part of my surround set-up.  Lately the volume will either mute or shoot up to maximum volume on its own.  There is a bleep which proceeds this.  Sonos customer service is no help, all they say is unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it back in.  For a nearly £1000 sound bar I am really not happy!

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 26 February 2024, 15:09

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I have the Sonos Arc as part of my surround set-up.  Lately the volume will either mute or shoot up to maximum volume on its own.  There is a bleep which proceeds this.  Sonos customer service is no help, all they say is unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it back in.  For a nearly £1000 sound bar I am really not happy!

Does that mean you haven’t tried that, or that it didn’t work? Unplugging is simply doing a reset, which many computers need from time to time. 

If it is still happening, generate a diagnostics report and contact support again. They should be able to say what was instigating the volume change. 

Userlevel 1

I have done it on a regular basis every time it plays up.  It resolves the issue for a few days and then it starts again.  I have sent diagnostic reports and been on live chat with Sonos but the issue is still not resolved.

It’s unfortunate that Sonos doesn’t allow us to access the data in your submitted diagnostic. When this happens, what’s the source on the Arc? Is it the TV set, or are you streaming music?

For what it’s worth, I’ve never before heard of an Arc changing volume on its own, there has always been an outside input making the change. But there’s always room for a first time, I’m not saying it’s impossible, just extremely unlikely. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If anyone else has access to your system and uses Spotify there can be some peculiar behaviour patterns, I seem to recall from other posts. Is that worth exploring, @Craig75 ? Or are you the only user/no one uses Spotify? 

Userlevel 1

It’s unfortunate that Sonos doesn’t allow us to access the data in your submitted diagnostic. When this happens, what’s the source on the Arc? Is it the TV set, or are you streaming music?

For what it’s worth, I’ve never before heard of an Arc changing volume on its own, there has always been an outside input making the change. But there’s always room for a first time, I’m not saying it’s impossible, just extremely unlikely. 

The source is a Sony Bravia TV.  Just before the sound goes there is a bleep and the light on the front flashes green 

Userlevel 1

If anyone else has access to your system and uses Spotify there can be some peculiar behaviour patterns, I seem to recall from other posts. Is that worth exploring, @Craig75 ? Or are you the only user/no one uses Spotify? 

Hi Nik, there is only myself and my girlfriend and she doesn’t use any music services 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

When you’ve previously submitted diagnostic reports and spoken to Sonos, what did they say was the source of the volume changes? 

Userlevel 1

Unfortunately they were not that helpful, they got me to send two diagnostic reports and then told me to unplug it for 5 minutes and the plug it back in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’d be inclined to do it again and push them for an answer. 
Publish the diagnostic report number here too and a helpful moderator might take a look for you…

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Craig75,

When products are muted and you try to lower the volume further, it’ll play a sound and the LED will flash green, which you’ve mentioned happening earlier in the thread. If you mute the speaker yourself and tap the volume down button, is the noise it makes the same as the bleep you hear? 

If you share the diagnostics number here or generate a new diagnostics within ten minutes of the issue occurring, I can have a look to see what is causing the Sonos Arc to change volume by itself.

If you haven’t done so already, I’d also recommend wiping down the top of the Sonos Arc following our cleaning guide. The touch capacitive buttons on our speakers can be sensitive, so cleaning them can help with issues where the buttons trigger by themselves.