Skip to main content
Answered

ARC Turning on LG TV by itself

• 23 November 2023
  • 5 replies

I have a home theater setup with an ARC, 2 Play:1 as surrounds, and a Sub (Gen 3).  Every day at the same time in the evening, the Sonos system turns on my LG OLED TV (OLED77C2PUA )

I have verified it is the ARC by disconnecting the HDMI cable between the two; TV does not turn on by itself when disconnected.  ARC is connected via the Simplink port; if I connect via another HDMI port, TV does not turn on by itself, but the ARC will not turn on when I turn on the TV.  I have deleted all of the components form the Home Theater setup, and recreated it.  I have confirmed all firmware is up to date.

This week a news issue has cropped up; when whatever happens inside the ARC that turns off the TV, it is now also muting the home theater audio so it is at zero.

I have been troubleshooting this issue since June with Sonos, with no resolution.  I just called for what seems like the 20th time for an update; this was escalated to Level 2 6-8 weeks ago.  Offshore support says they will send an email two schedule a call, but no email.  

Anyone from @Sonos monitor here?  I have been a customer since almost day 1, owning countless Sonos devices over the years (Including the obscure CR200 remote), from the days when you talked to an engineer if you had an issue.  The magic of Sonos has always been that it just works.  I would like to buy a pair of Era  300s, but until I can get this resolved, I am more than a bit hesitant to do so.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi

I had a similar issue with a Sonos Beam2 and an older Sony TV. However, before I divulge my remedy answer me this…

Do you have Alexa or Google voice setup with the Arc and if so have you checked their respective apps to see if any alarms or routines are set. Also might you be using an Alexa device integrated with your Sonos that may have an alarm or routine programmed?

Only the forum moderators from Sonos are here, and they’re few. The rest of Sonos is, I expect, discouraged from posting here, although it’s certainly possible that they read. I know when I was managing programmers for games, there was one engineer I couldn’t keep from reading, but admonished him repeatedly for posting, since his reactions were personal, and not matching the priorities of the rest of the team’s work.. 

Seems odd for the Sonos to be sending a signal to turn on the TV, the way I understand ARC and eARC is that the sound sink receives a wake-up signal, it doesn’t generate one. However, I’m not an engineer, nor do I have any specific knowledge about the Sonos codebase, only what I’ve read in the specifications of CEC. Even the remote sends the wake-up signal not to Sonos, but straight to the TV, which is then supposed to send the wake-up signal to the Sonos to tell it to expect data. 

If I understand your post properly, I do wonder if you’re just missing the auto play function on the TV’s input, but it’s hard to tell. 

If a Sonos forum moderator catches this, they might poke the Level 2 tech for you, but if I were you, I’d be calling in to do that, there is enough PID data that I’d not want to post it here. 

Hi

I had a similar issue with a Sonos Beam2 and an older Sony TV. However, before I divulge my remedy answer me this…

Do you have Alexa or Google voice setup with the Arc and if so have you checked their respective apps to see if any alarms or routines are set. Also might you be using an Alexa device integrated with your Sonos that may have an alarm or routine programmed?

My first call was to LG, and they could see an “On”command over the HDMI.  I have since bought an LG service remote, and I can see the “On” command over HDMI in the logs.  First call to Sonos they identified the issue as a “possible” Alexa command.  I have since disabled every Alexa, Siri, and Google voice device in the house to try and trouble shoot.  I have removed Alexa from the Sonos system.  Still turns on.

I also have confirmed no auto schedule for “On” (Autoplay) for the TV or Sonos system.  

5 months in and no resolution, nor any activity by Sonos unless I prod them. And then just the standard list of troubleshooting, which I have patiently done with phone techs multiple times.  Sigh.  I’ll ring again on Friday.

OK…this option is only recommended in Extreme situations. Since you have done your due diligence to troubleshoot (i.e. contacted Sonos, LG, disabled and/or removed voice assistants) here’s what resolved my issue….

Factory reset the Beam2 (in your case it would be the Arc)

I tend to go overboard so I factory reset all components associated with the Beam2 as it too is a Sonos HT setup. Upon setting up the system (HT) again I changed the room name.

That was several months ago. I haven’t had the issue re-occur. Problem solved.

CAUTION: If the Arc is the only autonomous Sonos gear you own (the Play 1 and Sub are not as they receive instructions from the Arc) a factory reset will delete all your play lists.

Ah, I hadn’t considered a voice command, my apologies. I was working from only the speaker aspect.