Answered

Arc, Sub Gen 3 and Era 300

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 7 replies

Hi

Currently I am using Sonos arc . I have 2 question :

• Is Sonos is capable for all 3 systems at with one system together ( via Apple TV ) with arc, sub gen 3 and  Era 300
  • currently I am using Sonos arc. Is it enough if I buy era 300 to get a full Dolby Atmos with large sound ? Or I also need to buy sub gen 3 too ? ( my common room size is 20 sqm

thanks 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 16 March 2023, 12:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

What do you consider ‘systems’? If that is ‘speakers’, yes, they’ll all work together in a home theater setup.

In order to complete a full Atmos setup, you’d need at least one Sub. It does not have to be a gen 3.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gazi 

Thanks for your post!

I’m a little concerned that you said 3, rather than 4. You will need 2 Era 300s to act as surrounds (as with any other model) - you cannot set up surround sound with only one speaker at the rear.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi

I have now 1 Arc, and 1 Era 300. In order to get Dolby Atmos - is it enough to buy 1 more Era 300?

( do I must need Sub for Dolby atomos ?)

thanks

I think your use of the terms is confusing, but in order to use the Sonos Era 300 as a surround speaker for the Arc, you’d need a second one. Surround speakers are always a pair of speakers, never just one.

A Sub, or Sub Mini, would flesh out the sound, by reproducing the .1 part of either a Dolby Digital or Dolby Atmos signal. 

You can send Atmos to the Arc already, it will deal with the signal without surrounds and Sub as it stands right now. 

Badge

Hi

I have now set up with a pair of Era 300 and Arc.

with music , it’s really great listening experience but while watching movies/ Tv still seems surround sound is missing !!! Not sure whether it’s a fault from Sonos SW!
During watching movies or TV, in sw I can’t see the content show Dolby Atmos ( my tv doesn’t have eARC port). Also from Era 300 seems side twitters sound is not there , only rear sounds providing .

any suggestion or info can help to this limitation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What does the Sonos app say you are receiving when you miss surround?

For TV viewing it is not necessary to use eArc to get Dolby Atmos. eArc is need for uncompressed Atmos, but most if not all streaming services use compressed Atmos form a Dolby Digital stream - that can be passed through HDMI-ARC.

Badge

@106rallye movies like  Avater 2”( from Apple Store ) , the content is Dolby Atmos supporting . When I am watching this on the app I have look on it but it showing “Dolby Digital 5.1” ! Why it’s not showing Dolby Atmos ?

regarding surround sound - on social media ( YouTube ) I have also found that claiming regarding era 300 is not providing side twitters effect during watching TV  which is also in my case I don’t get it as well from eta 300 . I am not sure whether Sonos should fix the issue via a new SW update!

Badge

Sonos could make it so 1 era 300 as a single rear surround solution but chose not to  like pairing two arc’s together as surround is also impossible limited by corporate interests i believe 

Laugh…right, they could have also set it up so a single PLAY:5 or Sonos 5 could have been set up as surround speakers….but you still wouldn’t get a ‘surround’ experience from a single point speaker. 

I think you’re not comprehending that ‘surround’ noises move, across the back of the sound field. They wouldn’t be moving if you had a single stereo speaker. They’d only come from ‘behind’, with zero effective movement to either ‘side’ of the sound stage. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do not think there are many suppliers using single rear surround speakers. If Sonos would allow this, they would lose sales (people would buy less speakers) and custumers would get sub opimal surround (probably losing Sonos even more sales).

Sonos could make it so 1 era 300 as a single rear surround solution but chose not to  like pairing two arc’s together as surround is also impossible limited by corporate interests i believe 

Corporate interests?  The Sonos corporation wasn’t even in existence when Dolby designed “Dolby Digital 5.1” to be 5 channels directional sound (Left-Center-Right Front and Left-Right Rear Surround) + 1 Effects channel (Subwoofer).  The definition is literally in the name - 5.1!

Badge

So what you are saying is that 1 era 300 is 100% capable of playing Atmos music with full surround by itself similar to an arc but no way It could work behind you as part of a group solo what am I missing?I understand speaker separation the wider the better but ..beating a dead horse here, Sonos sounds great just miffed Sonos released Atmos rears a month after I bought 2 sl ones for my arc sub 3 combo and 2 surrounds cost almost as much as an arc or a sub 3. maybe I can use the sl ones as expensive computer speakers for music production.

So what you are saying is that 1 era 300 is 100% capable of playing Atmos music with full surround by itself similar to an arc but no way It could work behind you as part of a group solo what am I missing?I understand speaker separation the wider the better but ..beating a dead horse here, Sonos sounds great just miffed Sonos released Atmos rears a month after I bought 2 sl ones for my arc sub 3 combo and 2 surrounds cost almost as much as an arc or a sub 3. maybe I can use the sl ones as expensive computer speakers for music production.

If you don't know what you are missing, I really don't know how to explain it.  So yeah, "corporate interests".  🙄

Years ago Dolby Pro Logic was a four channel analog surround system — Left, Center, Right, and surround. Even though two speakers were usually attached in the rear, it was a mono, reduced bandwidth channel.

In the modern digital era, broadcasts and movies use stereo in the rear. Certainly, the playback equipment could combine the stereo rear channel information and present it to a single speaker, but this is not the expected behavior for the wider audience and this behavior would involve extra work for equipment manufacturers. (Design, testing, maintenance)

In controlled listening, test environments you only needed two speakers or a headset for reproduction of full 3D sound. Soundbars attempt to accomplish this at home, but there are too many setup variations to make this wildly successful.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

So... in all honesty, I have been generally underwhelmed by Dolby Atmos from my Arc. Not necessarily blaming the Arc (which i love, regardless) as I think perhaps Dolby Atmos in general is just the "Emporer's New Clothes" - a marketing scam embraced by the industry to sell more speakers. Maybe it's my living space but I have never really been able to differentiate the vertical sound (without a bit of imagination on my part). I also accept that maybe sound designers haven't really put it to good use, but I've watched all the supposedly best Atmos 4k blu rays. The sound generally better and brighter, but the supposed 3D soundscape just doesn't come through. (And yes, before you ask, I do have all the decoding tech required)

But I am a sucker, and I am wondering if I would have a better experience if I add 2 Era 300s to my home theatre?

What I want to know is- since the Era 300s would serve as rear speakers would the up-firing speakers even receive 3D information, or does Atmos put all the verticular sound in the front speakers?

So... in all honesty, I have been generally underwhelmed by Dolby Atmos from my Arc. Not necessarily blaming the Arc (which i love, regardless) as I think perhaps Dolby Atmos in general is just the "Emporer's New Clothes" - a marketing scam embraced by the industry to sell more speakers. Maybe it's my living space but I have never really been able to differentiate the vertical sound (without a bit of imagination on my part). I also accept that maybe sound designers haven't really put it to good use, but I've watched all the supposedly best Atmos 4k blu rays. The sound generally better and brighter, but the supposed 3D soundscape just doesn't come through. (And yes, before you ask, I do have all the decoding tech required)

But I am a sucker, and I am wondering if I would have a better experience if I add 2 Era 300s to my home theatre?

What I want to know is- since the Era 300s would serve as rear speakers would the up-firing speakers even receive 3D information, or does Atmos put all the verticular sound in the front speakers?

The rear Era 300s would be receiving height sound cues along with the height speakers in the Arc.  You would essentially have a 5.x.4 system, with the ‘.4’ being front and rear upfiring height speakers.  As to Atmos performance, with upfiring speakers, it is highly dependent on your room.  Flat, even ceilings from 8-10’ high, and sitting the proper distance from the front Arc for the sound waves to bounce off the ceiling and hit the viewing area is optimum for sensing the Atmos effects.  I happen to have an optimum room (9’ ceilings, 13 ft away from the screen) and the effect, even without Era 300s, is dramatic.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi, I have a pair of exa 300, my use is solely for music, what sub would enhance my listening enjoyment please?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The rear Era 300s would be receiving height sound cues along with the height speakers in the Arc.  You would essentially have a 5.x.4 system, with the ‘.4’ being front and rear upfiring height speakers.  As to Atmos performance, with upfiring speakers, it is highly dependent on your room.  Flat, even ceilings from 8-10’ high, and sitting the proper distance from the front Arc for the sound waves to bounce off the ceiling and hit the viewing area is optimum for sensing the Atmos effects.  I happen to have an optimum room (9’ ceilings, 13 ft away from the screen) and the effect, even without Era 300s, is dramatic.  

Thanks. My ceiling height is fine, The room itself is pretty small though. Typically sat around 7ft from the Arc with a wall directly behind me and the surrounds 3ft to either side of me. Very recently moved into a bigger place so maybe see better results once I am kitted out.

Hmm.