Skip to main content
Answered

Arc + ERA300 with WPA2 AC

• 29 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Dear community members,

I hope you are all doing well! I finally took the plunge, and purchased an ARC (being delivered this Sunday), as well as two ERA300’s. 

At home, I have two wifi networks, the first is a university network, eduroam with WPA2 enterprise, login goes through username and password, which from what I read here will be difficult.

The second network, is for all the apartments in the complex specifically, also managed by the university, but a WPA2ac personal. I have a custom password to connect to this network, but do not have access to the router etc which is centrally managed. However, I do have an ethernet port in the apartment that connects to the same network. I’m very friendly with our IT team, so if any information on the set-up would be helpful, I can ask them! 

With the WPA2ac personal network I previously had very good experience, in the sense that our SmartTV is connected to it with no trouble whatsoever. The Sonos however seems to struggle. When I go through the set-up, it originally seems to connect, but gives me the message that it might not see the speaker added to the system, which indeed it doesn’t. It seems to be unable to find the speaker in the WiFi network after having added it.

Any debug ideas? Otherwise my thought was to just connect one of the ERA’s to the ethernet that is next to it. However, I realised they don’t built a mash network anymore, so I would have to wire them all, including the arc, which seems against the entire idea of the SONOS system. The arc itself will be connected through HDMI-ARC, so it probably doesn’t need WiFi as much, but I guess the ERA’s still do? The arc is also at the absolute opposite of the ethernet port, so wiring it would be a bit painful, but unsure if this would resolve all the issues? I want to use the set-up also to listen to music, which I guess I could do through either the Sonos App, or through the Spotify App on the TV, which is hard wired to the ARC (unsure if it’s better to just use the ERA 300’s as stereo for music, vs the entire set-up).

I saw that some community members used travel routers, what would be a permanent solution here? I would like something affordable, that connects to the WiFi (without ethernet preferably to be able to hide it away), and shares a new WiFi I can connect to. No need to work with battery etc., happy to just hard wire it somewhere if the router is what it takes.

Thank you for your help,

Andi

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

It sounds as though there’s client isolation on the shared WiFi, which will stop Sonos working. And it also sounds like the WiFi and Ethernet could be on separate subnets, which again will stop Sonos working.

Given that you have an Ethernet socket the simplest option would be to get a standard wireless router and connect its internet/WAN port to the available feed. This will set up a private wireless subnet for your Sonos and mobiles.