Answered

Arc audio cutting out

• 23 October 2021
  • 10 replies

I have a Sonos arc paired with the gen 3 sub connected to my Sony xbr900e connected via arc(not earc) . Everything was working fine until a few days ago and now my audio is constantly cutting in and out. I have swapped hdmi cables, power cycled both tv and soundbar, factory reset my tv, and nothing has fixed it.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 24 October 2021, 00:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Do you have anything else connected to the TV other than the Arc?

Try disconnecting everything from the TV, including the Arc, and unplug the Arc and TV from power for a couple of minutes. Plug them back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Bravia Sync (CEC) is enabled on the TV. Perform the TV Setup process under the Arc’s settings in the Sonos app. When the app instructs you to, connect the Arc to the TV. When the Arc is successfully connected, connect your other devices to the TV.

I’ve done all this, however when doing sonos tv setup from the app, it won’t detect that I’ve connected the sound bar via hdmi on the arc port.  But nonetheless when I connect the sound bar to the tv the audio switches to the sound bar.

Also nothing else connected to the tv besides my directtv box.

Userlevel 7

If you disconnect the DirecTV box, do you experience the audio cut outs?

Have you done the TV Setup in the exact order I described?

I disconnected everything from the tv beside the sound bar and tried to perform the tv setup from the sonos app and still the app can’t detect the sound bar is connected.

I’ll test if the audio cut outs happen on Netflix or YouTube and report back, but when I initially set up the sound bar the tv setup on the sonos app went fine.

Ok Netflix and YouTube don’t seem to cut out as much as the directtv box. Also tried doing the tv setup on my other tv and it worked just fine, my other tv has an earc port though. Any suggestions?

I’m not sure if this may apply to your TV, but I have read online in the past that there is a setting on some Sony TV models that needs to be switched on called "IP Simple Control". I made a note of the setting (a while back) that mentions this…

• To Turn on IP Simple Control
    1. Open Settings
    2. Go to Network and Internet
    3. Go to Home network
    4. Go to IP control
    5. Go to Simple IP control
    6. Toggle On

I am not sure if it applies here in your case, but I read that the option needs to be enabled for TV control with some connected devices - so perhaps see if this is relevant for your model of TV to ‘perhaps’ get it recognised in the Sonos App.

If the setting is not present on your TV, then please ignore my post, which is just ‘a shot in the dark’ trying to assist here.

I think I may have solved it, I think there maybe something wrong with the hdmi port on the sonos side. If I held the hdmi cord firmly against the hdmi port while doing the tv setup, setup detected the sonos. If I didn’t hold the wire then setup would fail. I tried this a couple times, and each time I held the wire the tv setup worked , otherwise it failed. I know this sounds weird and unlikely, but it worked for me.

I think I may have solved it, I think there maybe something wrong with the hdmi port on the sonos side. If I held the hdmi cord firmly against the hdmi port while doing the tv setup, setup detected the sonos. If I didn’t hold the wire then setup would fail. I tried this a couple times, and each time I held the wire the tv setup worked , otherwise it failed. I know this sounds weird and unlikely, but it worked for me.

Maybe first try another HDMI cable (preferably the one that came with the Arc and one other) .. if the issue remains, I would perhaps try to capture that ‘poor connection’ on video, if that’s at all possible, aswell as submitting a Sonos diagnostic report (make a note of the diagnostic reference) - then contact Sonos Support via this LINK and send them the information gathered and see what they advise.

Will do, and I did try a few different cables including the one that came with sonos.