Skip to main content

Does anyone else seem to be having issues with their soundbars restarting hourly?

I have two soundbars (ARC & Ray) each with subs & surrounds, in separate rooms, both hardwired to my home’s 2.5gbe network. 

This problem just started the last week or so where Almost Every Hour, the soundbars restart (in close sync) between the 7th and 13th minute of every hour. This stops and disconnects them from whatever groups or sound source connected to them. Including audio directly from spdif or eARC. 

I thought it was intermittent until i started tracking them locally with an uptime service. 

What I think may Potentially be Happening

• An hourly process is failing, and causing the two devices to crash.
  • The devices are receiving some data that triggers restart or crashes every hour.
    • From Local Sonos Devices
    • From Local Network Devices
    • From External (WAN) sources

You might send in a diagnostic, just before the restart and another just after, then contact Sonos to see if they can see any internal logs.

Are you sure it isn’t DHCP (IP address assignment) or power related?

DHCP that frequently sounds weird, but it’s a good idea to reserve those IP addresses in the router settings.  

I just submitted Diagnostics and talked with support for a while, so will see what comes back. I’ve previously reserved DHCP IP addresses for each sonos device on the network, & confirmed them by pinging each at their reserved address (for the uptime service) so shouldn’t be that. And at least one is on a UPS, so shouldn’t be power related either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The DHCP default lease is 24 hours, it should try to renew at 12.

Folks sometimes change that default to something much lower when testing things or just poking at them, if left too short you can see renewals way too often, but not usually disruptive aside from the Sonos DHCP issues that bite some users.

Good luck finding the cause and please come back and let the forum know what it was to help the next user.

Is there anything else in your home setup that could be causing this indirectly.  For example, vestiges of old Apple Homekit installations have been known to do weird things (although I have never heard of this particular weird thing).

Make sure there aren’t any alarms mistakenly setup.

Update:

findings:

• Does not occur when only 1 sonos device that is able to connect with other devices (irregardless of hop count) via SonosNet is connected to home ethernet.