Answered

Arc 5Ghz surround channel no user selection.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

I couldn’t find a fitted answer, but why is the sonos arc copying my 5ghz channel with the same as my router and why isnt it selectable for the user to reduce traffic interference?

I changed my router a few times but the arc moves with the same channel all the time.

I know a lot of people who have there router neer the tv and soundbar so know you cross the signals within 2 meters, with that great bandwidth there is a wide choice to pick a other channel.

thanks in advance.

greets.

thomas

icon

Best answer by Thomasvanammers 22 July 2023, 20:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The Sonos 5ghz frequency is only for linked surrounds and subs, it can’t be used for any other purpose.

@Thomasvanammers,

Using a web browser, if you goto "http://(ARC IP ADDRESS):1400/support/review" and select the Arc in your results list and then select: /proc/ath_ringcon/status

What is the 5Ghz HT Channel Centre Frequency set to in MHz?

Also what is your current routers 5Ghz channel?

Userlevel 1
Badge

The Sonos 5ghz frequency is only for linked surrounds and subs, it can’t be used for any other purpose.

I know but i still rather use a different channel.

I also use a load of other 5ghz receiver, like dishwasher 2 ovens, refridgerator and 2 sonos era300 and a security camera's.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Thomasvanammers,

Using a web browser, if you goto "http://(ARC IP ADDRESS):1400/support/review" and select the Arc in your results list and then select: /proc/ath_ringcon/status

What is the 5Ghz HT Channel Centre Frequency set to in MHz?

Also what is your current routers 5Ghz channel?

let me check the page is new to me.

I use wifi analyzer normally il be back soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Which WiFi Analyzer are you using?

Most don’t show the Sonos signal so finding one that does would be good.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Which WiFi Analyzer are you using?

Most don’t show the Sonos signal so finding one that does would be good.

I use android wifi analyzer from olgor version 3.7

My router says its 5ghz channel 44 and 40mhz wilde

I actually cant change the channel for longer then about 24 hours because it changes back to channel 44. 

DFS sequentie is activate. Radar law activated in Netherlands. It cant be deactivated.

Is DFS also activated for Sonos?

This is the screen from the ip range

I got my era300 powered off momentarly.

How come the routers 5Ghz WiFi signal is not shown as overlapping in the WiFi Analyser display? Is the Era 300 speakers bonded as HT surrounds to the Arc?

Also, is the routers 5Ghz SSID being broadcast, or hidden?

Ah in fact I can now see the ‘red’ coloured SSID showing behind the hidden ‘yellow’ SSID, sorry I missed that as it’s almost a perfect overlap of the signal - so is the Arc bonded to any surrounds/Sub?

FWIW in my own case, I run a Sonos setup on my local WiFi (no wired SonosNet connection) and have the Sonos Arc bonded with two Era-300’s and a Sub.

The Arc called ‘Living Room’ only ever connects to the LAN using its 2.4ghz adapter and is currently using the routers channel 11 for its connection.

The bonded surrounds are using an Ad-hoc wireless connection, which is auto-selected by the Arc and shown as being on Channel 36 - this can and does vary, particularly if I reboot the Arc/surrounds.

The local WiFi 5Ghz channel on the router is set as Channel 44

See attached …

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ah in fact I can now see the ‘red’ coloured SSID showing behind the hidden ‘yellow’ SSID, sorry I missed that as it’s almost a perfect overlap of the signal - so is the Arc bonded to any surrounds/Sub?

Haha yeah the signal in this case is same amplitude as my WiFi signal. Because there about 3 meters behind each other.

Yeah i have a set 2 play3 and 2 subs a gen2 and gen3 connected at the arc livingroom.

Without the boost since a month.

Userlevel 1
Badge

FWIW in my own case, I run a Sonos setup on my local WiFi (no wired SonosNet connection) and have the Sonos Arc bonded with two Era-300’s and a Sub.

The Arc called ‘Living Room’ only ever connects to the LAN using its 2.4ghz adapter and is currently using the routers channel 11 for its connection.

The bonded surrounds are using an Ad-hoc wireless connection, which is auto-selected by the Arc and shown as being on Channel 36 - this can and does vary, particularly if I reboot the Arc/surrounds.

The local WiFi 5Ghz channel on the router is set as Channel 44

See attached …

Yeah i see but it might be tested by the equipment the range for 5ghz must be within 10 meters for best performance if else it will switch automatic to 2.4ghz i just read that when you name your ssid 5ghz a other name and you put that ssid in the sonos app it will use the 5ghz without putting it back to 2.4ghz

Yeah i see but it might be tested by the equipment the range for 5ghz must be within 10 meters for best performance if else it will switch automatic to 2.4ghz i just read that when you name your ssid 5ghz a other name and you put that ssid in the sonos app it will use the 5ghz without putting it back to 2.4ghz

My router has a ‘bridged’ WiFi mesh setup and the Horizon access point is very close to the Arc.. one metre away and the signal strength is shown as SNR 89dB within the Sonos App (screenshot attached).

The 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID’s are named the same in the ‘smart’ WiFi setup and band steering is automatic.

I’ve never seen any Sonos Home Theatre product, Ray, Beam, Arc, Amp ‘ever’ use a 5Ghz WiFi connection.. it’s always 2.4Ghz only and their 5Ghz adapters are used only for an Ad-hoc WiFi connection to the surrounds/sub for timely TV audio communication.

In your setup @Thomasvanammers, the Arc is shown as using centre channel frequency 2437 (channel 6) but the router main channel is shown as 11, (central frequency 2462)… do you need to set its channel-width to 20Mhz only, perhaps?

The ad-hoc centre wireless frequency in your case is 5220 (channel 44).

So I’m just wondering what your router/WiFi network setup is in your case?.. is there just one central router. Oh and why can’t you fix the 5Ghz (and 2.4Ghz) channels on that router🤔? Once fixed it should stay fixed?

Is there a way in your scanner @Thomasvanammers to show the BSSID of the signal you’re seeing within the display - my thoughts are that the signal you’re seeing in the scanner is too wide (80MHz) for it to be a Sonos ad-hoc wireless signal - they’re apparently only 20Mhz only as far as I can tell. So might you have a guest WiFi enabled on your router perhaps, or is there another WiFi router, or WiFi access point nearby?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I installed that app and while it shows hidden SSID signals it did not show any of my Sonos devices signals, either on 2.4 or 5 GHz. Neither SonosNet or the Surround Wireless showed.

You can slide to the details tab on the app and check the signals you think are yours by comparing the MAC address the app shows and your Sonos MAC addresses under System, About My System on your controller.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is there a way in your scanner @Thomasvanammers to show the BSSID of the signal you’re seeing within the display - my thoughts are that the signal you’re seeing in the scanner is too wide (80MHz) for it to be a Sonos ad-hoc wireless signal - they’re apparently only 20Mhz only as far as I can tell. So might you have a guest WiFi enabled on your router perhaps, or is there another WiFi router, or WiFi access point nearby?

Well that could be it, there used to be a ziggo guest network call wifi spots, everybody with the isp app can use your wifi, but i deactivated it because i wouldnt use it. It used to be a WiFi system mabey now its a cloacked system?

Since you noticed the 80mhz it most be that system.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I installed that app and while it shows hidden SSID signals it did not show any of my Sonos devices signals, either on 2.4 or 5 GHz. Neither SonosNet or the Surround Wireless showed.

You can slide to the details tab on the app and check the signals you think are yours by comparing the MAC address the app shows and your Sonos MAC addresses under System, About My System on your controller.

I watched the mac adres and it is a strange number not the same as my wifi router i cant see it anywhere in sonos list could my router sent two 5ghz mac adresses?  I have to look up the power adapters of the wifi pods i have, but they use 2.4ghz and other channels. Strange. I have some 10 wifi light bulbs around but only receiving not sending.

My thoughts now, are that the router is perhaps broadcasting a hidden (ghost) SSID, as part of a mesh backbone for use with compatible access points, aswell as broadcasting a visible SSID🤔? See this discussion on mesh systems with hidden backbone…

https://superuser.com/questions/1720099/why-does-my-router-broadcast-a-ghost-ssid-at-the-same-frequencies-and-strength-w

Userlevel 1
Badge

My thoughts now, are that the router is perhaps broadcasting a hidden (ghost) SSID, as part of a mesh backbone for use with compatible access points, aswell as broadcasting a visible SSID🤔? See this discussion on mesh systems with hidden backbone…

https://superuser.com/questions/1720099/why-does-my-router-broadcast-a-ghost-ssid-at-the-same-frequencies-and-strength-w

I think ots the wifi sniffer in the router oh i laughed so hard, some things can put you on the wrong track for some time.

Il put up a sreen its says in this part of the router. Thats why it only codes up every few minutes. 

The dumb thing is the system doesnt even work on 5ghz because the channels are locked because of the radar laws in netherlands.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Its the channal optimalisation.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I watched the mac adres and it is a strange number not the same as my wifi router i cant see it anywhere in sonos list could my router sent two 5ghz mac adresses?  I have to look up the power adapters of the wifi pods i have, but they use 2.4ghz and other channels. Strange. I have some 10 wifi light bulbs around but only receiving not sending.

@Stanley_4 @Ken_Griffiths thanks for the help and Support.