Arc 2 Speculation

• 2 January 2024
  • 14 replies

https://www.techradar.com/televisions/soundbars/why-the-sonos-arc-2-is-my-most-anticipated-tv-upgrade-of-2024

I ran across this article and thought it was interesting.  I am generally skeptical that an Arc 2 will come out any time soon, but the projected features are interested, and perhaps worthy of a discussion.

1 - wireless content.   I think this is a bit more complex that the author states.  Not only does the TV or projector need to send the audio data (and control) wirelessly to soundbar, but it would need to have in built in controls over the timing to make sure audio and video are in sync.  An HDMI dongle might be able to do this, but it would have to be on the source side, meaning you can’t use your smart TV apps for it, meaning you’ve still got to have wires.

I tend to think wireless content is overrated anyway.  The TV and the soundbar both need power cords, and I don’t think 2 cords is significantly better over 3.

2- smaller size.  I am not bothered by the Arc size.  If your TV legs are too short, throw a hockey puck or two underneath. 

3 - more speakers.  I don’t think more is necessarily better,  and I’m not thinking you can improve the audio much in a typical home space by attempting to bounce more channels off the walls and ceiling.  I’m not sure the physics work for that either .  I mean, there is really only one path off the ceiling (two if you count left and right) from soundbar to listening area.  You can’t bounce another channel off the ceiling at a different angle and have it reach the listening area.  You could do some timing tricks maybe, but do you need additional speakers for that?  The Beam does not.

4 - bigger bass - The tech is there for this to happen, but I don’t think Sonos will incorporate a full sub into the soundbar, to leave room for the actual sub.  That almost make the Arc 2 less affordable for many.  Also, they would surely make it so woofers can play higher frequencies if a sub is bonded to the room.

5 - better height - Yes.  I don’t what to think about this as I have not heard nearly enough atmos soundbars in my room to tell how much room is left for improvement.

6 - trueplay quicktuning - I think this will be standard on all future speakers going forward.I would expect a new Arc would have bluetooth too.  I wouldn’t be surprised if aux input is left off though.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey @melvimbe, thank you for sharing!

Interesting read indeed. I cannot comment on future plans or for the Sonos Roadmap, but I’m curious and very excited for this year 🙂.

HDMI pass through would be awesome if they release a new one. Even if it’s just 1 port. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Allowing an extra pair of speakers in front would do more to improve sound than anything you could do to improve the Arc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If the new Arc doesn’t offer independent center channel volume control the rest of the new stuff isn’t enough to tempt me to upgrade.

Badge

Sonos Arc needs better height channels and HDMI passthrough. It would have to be able to also connect to the future Sonos HDMI stick which will change the timeline for release.

my view:

• Sonos wants to release headphones but given they are expensive you need to differentiate yourself with WiFi;
  • the Sonos HDMI tv stick will allow the Sonos headphones to be used also when watching movies;
  • new Sonos Arc will either have the Sonos HDMI stick within the soundbar or will be able to connect wirelessly to that. In any case an HDMI passthrough might be needed  to break away from the TV audio processing.

let’s see if anything gets announced in March or June.

Full DTS support would be nice for the price. 

Badge

At least it supports DTS finally, even DTS-HD, albeit just the DTS core (you won't be able to tell the difference on a soundbar like this anyways though). 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

For me personally it would be:

Additional HDMI ports

Inbuilt tuning (viable for people without an Apple device)

DTS:HD/X codecs added (especially with Disney plus adding DTS:X around June time)

Sub out port (Probably the most unlikely haha)

Further enhanced EQ controls. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

At least it supports DTS finally, even DTS-HD, albeit just the DTS core (you won't be able to tell the difference on a soundbar like this anyways though). 

You definitely would. DTS:X would actually work better on a Sonos bar as it's more emphasized on object placement rather than relying on walls to bounce the sound off. I currently have the Sennheiser Ambeo plus paired with a Kef KC62 subwoofer and the difference between bog standard DTS and DTS:X miles better. 

If they decide to introduce both the HD and X codecs then I'll happily return back to Sonos and purchase the new Soundbar alongside two era 300's and two subwoofers. 

Badge

You definitely would. DTS:X would actually work better on a Sonos bar as it's more emphasized on object placement rather than relying on walls to bounce the sound off. I currently have the Sennheiser Ambeo plus paired with a Kef KC62 subwoofer and the difference between bog standard DTS and DTS:X miles better. 

If they decide to introduce both the HD and X codecs then I'll happily return back to Sonos and purchase the new Soundbar alongside two era 300's and two subwoofers. 

I was referring to DTS vs DTS-HD as far as bit rate differences, but not actual spacial sound...Now DTS:X would definitely be noticeable; I'm there with you. But DTS:X has such a low market share and I'd venture to guess most people will never even watch anything that utilizes that codec. It's only relatively common on Blu-rays and very few people (relative, not absolute audience) actually watch Blu-rays . 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I was referring to DTS vs DTS-HD as far as bit rate differences, but not actual spacial sound...Now DTS:X would definitely be noticeable; I'm there with you. But DTS:X has such a low market share and I'd venture to guess most people will never even watch anything that utilizes that codec. It's only relatively common on Blu-rays and very few people (relative, not absolute audience) actually watch Blu-rays . 

Maybe not so much in the soundbar market but in the normal AVR world disks are still very popular and at the end of the day with how much these devices cost, it really is lazyness by the company not to include it. I personally prefer DTS over Dolby. 

As already stated, hopefully with Disney plus about to add DTS:X and also another big streaming platform about to do the same (can't name for NDA reasons), it might give them the kick up the backside to add the codecs in 

Badge

Maybe not so much in the soundbar market but in the normal AVR world disks are still very popular and at the end of the day with how much these devices cost, it really is lazyness by the company not to include it. I personally prefer DTS over Dolby. 

As already stated, hopefully with Disney plus about to add DTS:X and also another big streaming platform about to do the same (can't name for NDA reasons), it might give them the kick up the backside to add the codecs in 

Yeah, if more streaming services support it, then Sonos will (eventually...theyre very slow, like Apple, to adopt things that others have had for years). 

Im hoping for louder, better dynamics, and better mids. Thats it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

God help us all if they try and do high bandwidth audio wirelessly from other people’s TVs. Look at the trouble some TVs still have with getting eARC (and CEC) working correctly, and those are certified HDMI standards over thin bits of copper. Supporting random third party wireless standards doesn’t seem like a sane plan to me.