Answered

Any Sonos speakers as rear (not surround) with Beam 2? I have 2x One

• 2 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

Are there any Sonos speakers which can be pair with Sonos Beam gen2 and act as classic rear speakers (playing the same what comes from Beam), not in surround mode?

I’ve had Beam gen 2 connected to my Sony TV via HDMI which plays great.

However I wanted to extend my configuration and put two additional speakers close to back of my couch to hear it better and not need to play loudly at the evenings - so I bought 2x Sonos One.

Then my disappointed of this system has started…

It looks like I cannot pair it with my Beam as classic additional speakers which would play the same what comes from Beam (even in mono).

When I configure them as surround, most of youtube or Netflix/HBO/Prime/Disney movies not use them or just play additional channel without “main voices” which comes from Beam (which is expected and by design but not what I wanted)

When I configure them as stereo or just as group of speakers, then I cannot control volume of the whole group via TV remote controller or there is sync delay which is very inconvenient (I have tried many options and suggestions from support page).

Actually, lack of possibility to control the volume level of whole group by TV remote controller drives me mad - it’s insane!

So, my question is, if there are any other than Ones speakers which I can replace to, and will play the same what comes from Beam? 

I planned to buy Sonos Sub also, but honesty, now I’m thinking about quit Sonos system at all.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 2 January 2023, 21:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

No, this isn’t possible. When you group speakers with the Beam while playing TV audio, you will always experience a slight audio delay from the grouped speakers. Streaming music will be in sync though.

When speakers are configured as surrounds, they will always act as surround speakers and play the appropriate surround channels from the audio mix.

Userlevel 7

The only thing you can do is group the additional speakers with the Beam, which you have already done and did not like.

Changing the speakers will not make any difference. It is not possible to do what you are asking.

OK thank you for information and your time.

I have tried your setup out with a Beam Gen.2 and one Play One. It ís possible to have the sound of your TV play synchronously on those two devices. However, you must give your Beam Gen.2 a different name than your two Sonos Ones. In my case I named  my Beam Gen.2 "Livingroom” and my Play One “diningroom”. Then you must make those two rooms play the TV-sound in the Sonos app on your phone. And you cannot control the volume of the sound of your three devices by means of your TV remote. You must use the volume control in the Sonos app on your phone for this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When done like this, you will have the delay mentioned above. Some people are more sensitive to it then others, but it will be there.

It may be possible to sync the grouped  speakers for Tav sound using the "TV dialog sync" setting. However this will throw the lip sync out.

Note that for music sources the grouped speakers will sync perfectly anyway.