Answered

Alexa reminder lowers max volume on Sonos Beam

• 13 December 2022
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
  • Prominent Collaborator I
  • 63 replies

Hi all. So I was finally able to isolate the issue and recreate. Currently have a Sonos beam connected via arc to my LG TV. Everything works and sounds great……until I set a reminder on my echo show which announces on several other echo devices AND my Sonos Beam through my tv. What happens is, once the reminder is communicated through my Beam, the volume on my Sonos Beam is altered (significantly lowered) and my 100% volume is not very loud at all. Normally I can’t hardly stand next to it at 100% volume but after this reminder I can crank it to 100% no problem.

sIm struggling to figure out if this is a Sonos, Alexa, or TV issue?  Only when I unplug the tv, beam, and fire stick will the audio revert back?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rick 

icon

Best answer by RaultTN 14 December 2022, 17:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

I’m not entirely sure what might be causing your issue, but presumably the connected Fire TV is outputting the timer audio through your TV.🤔

In the Amazon Alexa App however, I see there is a volume-slider control for reminders, timers etc; on the Fire TV. See attached image from my Amazon App. I’m just wondering if that volume slider is set low and perhaps the cause of your issue?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks for the reply. So that is something to think about. The reminder is being set from my Echo Show in a connected room. I have Alexa turned off on the Bram itself since they both answer if I try talking to “Alexa”. So now I wonder if the fire stick has something to do with the volume leveling?  

Thanks for the reply. So that is something to think about. The reminder is being set from my Echo Show in a connected room. I have Alexa turned off on the Bram itself since they both answer if I try talking to “Alexa”. So now I wonder if the fire stick has something to do with the volume leveling?  

Does the LG TV have Alexa built in too? - if so, also check it’s icon properties in the Alexa App device list too, to perhaps see if it has a volume control aswell, like the Fire TV… I just suspect there is a volume control somewhere in your setup that’s changing the level to whatever the timer is set to.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

TV does not have Alexa, only the fire stick which I have checked. The strange thing about all of it though, is that the max volume of the beam from that moment forward is maybe 50% of what it normally would be. I then have to unplug and restart everything (tv, fire stick, sonos beam) for it to go back to a normal volume range. 

I’ve read a number of posts about Sonos volume leveling (leveling may be a bad word choice)  being much different between how it plays Music versus TV sound?  No idea but makes me wonder again if that has anything to do with it. Something is definitely taking control of the Sonos beam volume once Alexa makes an announcement.  

TV does not have Alexa, only the fire stick which I have checked. The strange thing about all of it though, is that the max volume of the beam from that moment forward is maybe 50% of what it normally would be. I then have to unplug and restart everything (tv, fire stick, sonos beam) for it to go back to a normal volume range. 

I’ve read a number of posts about Sonos volume leveling (leveling may be a bad word choice)  being much different between how it plays Music versus TV sound?  No idea but makes me wonder again if that has anything to do with it. Something is definitely taking control of the Sonos beam volume once Alexa makes an announcement.  

If you are not able to find the answer, then when you next encounter the issue, it maybe best to submit a system diagnostic and note, or post, it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see if they can discover the cause of the issue.

Hope that assists and if you do find the answer, then perhaps kindly post the outcome back here as it may help others too.👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks again Ken.  I think I accidently clicked a button to mark this answered….not sure how to retract that ha.  I will recreate and submit a diagnostic and get in touch with support.  I didnt know if they chimed in here, or if I would need to submit a separate ticket.  Thanks again for the assist sir!  

Staff here will likely sort out the incorrect marking of the thread as answered, so no worries there.

You are probably best though to follow the link I provided to speak to Staff about your issue, as there are no tickets opened until you communicate with them via the link anyway. This is mainly a user-community forum and Staff may not read/respond to all posts here.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

So this is interesting.  Just hung up with Sonos Support, who was great.  Here is where we are at. we ran a diagnostic while everything was working great.  Volume is noted at a 20 through the Sonos app and through diagnostics.  I set a 10 second timer through Alexa for that TV (using the firestick remote).  Timer goes off and the volume is noticeably more quiet once I “dismiss” the reminder.  So we run diagnostics again to show that the volume REMAINS at 20 even though the volume coming out of my Beam is significantly quieter than prior to the Alexa timer notification.  

We also ran this test via a separate input.  Come to find out the volume is NOT reduced on the other input but ONLY on the Firestick input...or potentially the eArc input where the Sonos is connected??  So moral of the story so far is that this SEEMS to be a Firestick/Alexa issue since the sound is not being reduced on a separate tv input.  

So now off to Amazon to see what they tell me.  More to come.  I still find it hard to believe that I cant find another thread about this issue.  It seems to me that anyone using an Alexa tv OR the Alexa app through their tv would incur the same problem….or maybe there is some crazy setting I have enabled either on the Firestick or Alexa themselves??  

So this is interesting.  Just hung up with Sonos Support, who was great.  Here is where we are at. we ran a diagnostic while everything was working great.  Volume is noted at a 20 through the Sonos app and through diagnostics.  I set a 10 second timer through Alexa for that TV (using the firestick remote).  Timer goes off and the volume is noticeably more quiet once I “dismiss” the reminder.  So we run diagnostics again to show that the volume REMAINS at 20 even though the volume coming out of my Beam is significantly quieter than prior to the Alexa timer notification.  

We also ran this test via a separate input.  Come to find out the volume is NOT reduced on the other input but ONLY on the Firestick input...or potentially the eArc input where the Sonos is connected??  So moral of the story so far is that this SEEMS to be a Firestick/Alexa issue since the sound is not being reduced on a separate tv input.  

So now off to Amazon to see what they tell me.  More to come.  I still find it hard to believe that I cant find another thread about this issue.  It seems to me that anyone using an Alexa tv OR the Alexa app through their tv would incur the same problem….or maybe there is some crazy setting I have enabled either on the Firestick or Alexa themselves??  

Thank you 🙏for coming back here @RaultTN and describing, in detail, what appears to be happening. I’ve hung-out around the forum for some years and have certainly been here since the Beam and Arc were launched and I’ve never come across the issue being reported in the community either... it’s a strange one …and here’s hoping that Amazon are able to sort it for you too. 👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

So after two attempts with Amazon and an hour later no luck.  I was hung up on twice when transferring.  Ill try again tomorrow ha.  But some more information in case it makes any sense.  I set the reminder via the firestick remote and as described above, the volume output is decreased out of my sonos speaker.  I have now figured out that if I simply tap the microphone button on my firestick remote, although I get a prompt about how I can use alexa, the volume comes back!!  So still no answer but I think this is further confirmation that the Firestick Alexa is what is causing the issue.  

Now I am wondering if the issue is somewhere in the settings of how I have Alexa enabled and linked to the Sonos Beam itself, the smart TV the Sonos Beam is connected too, and the Firestick connected to the smart tv (all “devices” in the Alexa app”.  Thinking maybe the reminder I am creating is causing some issues between those 3 Alexa devices that are all connected together in some fashion.  My brain hurts ha

So after two attempts with Amazon and an hour later no luck.  I was hung up on twice when transferring.  Ill try again tomorrow ha.  But some more information in case it makes any sense.  I set the reminder via the firestick remote and as described above, the volume output is decreased out of my sonos speaker.  I have now figured out that if I simply tap the microphone button on my firestick remote, although I get a prompt about how I can use alexa, the volume comes back!!  So still no answer but I think this is further confirmation that the Firestick Alexa is what is causing the issue.  

Now I am wondering if the issue is somewhere in the settings of how I have Alexa enabled and linked to the Sonos Beam itself, the smart TV the Sonos Beam is connected too, and the Firestick connected to the smart tv (all “devices” in the Alexa app”.  Thinking maybe the reminder I am creating is causing some issues between those 3 Alexa devices that are all connected together in some fashion.  My brain hurts ha

It’s not the button somehow getting stuck in the pressed position on the Fire-TV remote is it?

Also, have you checked the Fire-TV for updates?

So I just tried this with a Fire-TV 4K (not the max version) and the voice remote which I attached to an LG C9 TV and a Sonos Arc.

I set a ‘reminder’ via the remote to begin with (and for good measure I also tried it with a timer too). Each one was set for 10s.. screenshots , attached. As an example both executed after 10 seconds and the TV audio is definitely at the same here volume here FWIW.

I appreciate it’s not the exact same setup here as you are using, but I would have thought if it was an issue with Fire-TV, then I would ‘likely’encounter the issue too, unless you have a fault with the FireTV or it’s remote? Maybe try powering off the Fire TV (leave off for a minute or two), reseat it in the TV’s HDMI port and also remove/replace the batteries from its remote and then give it another try to see if it makes a difference. Sorry it’s just guesswork on my part, but maybe worth a try.

Edit: The Fire TV here software version is attached as a screenshot. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

We’re back.  So I just hung up after 75 minutes with Amazon support.  Long story short, the support rep was able to recreate the issue from his end.  He uses two echos as his tv’s speakers and as soon as he set a reminder/alarm/timer through his Firestick remote, his volume was reduced also.  So it is definitely not a Sonos issue.  The other crazy piece that we both discovered, when the timer/alarm goes off, instead of clicking the Dismiss button with the remote (which triggers the volume reduction), if you tell Alexa to dismiss the volume instead, no volume reduction!  So it is happening at the moment you click the actual dismiss button with the firestick remote on the TV.

@Ken_Griffiths here are the steps if you dare to recreate from your end ha.  I would be curious to know if it does the same for you.  If you are using a firestick:  

• Put on a show of any kind (not music).
  • Set your volume to a decent level (even better if you have the ability to see the actual # of the volume level.  My normal listening volume on my setup is 30.
  • Set a 10 second timer using your fire remote.
  • After 10 seconds the reminder popup will show up on your tv with the reminder itself and the alarm.
  • Click the dismiss button and see what happens to your volume.  At this moment is when my volume output is decreased probably 50%.  I still have volume but significantly decreased.
  • If you are able to view your volume level # you should notice that although it is much quieter, the volume # will be the same (30 on my tv).
  • If this recreates on your end you can fix it by simply asking Alexa the time.  For whatever reason it reverts back to “normal audio output”.  So strange.

We’re back.  So I just hung up after 75 minutes with Amazon support.  Long story short, the support rep was able to recreate the issue from his end.  He uses two echos as his tv’s speakers and as soon as he set a reminder/alarm/timer through his Firestick remote, his volume was reduced also.  So it is definitely not a Sonos issue.  The other crazy piece that we both discovered, when the timer/alarm goes off, instead of clicking the Dismiss button with the remote (which triggers the volume reduction), if you tell Alexa to dismiss the volume instead, no volume reduction!  So it is happening at the moment you click the actual dismiss button with the firestick remote on the TV.

@Ken_Griffiths here are the steps if you dare to recreate from your end ha.  I would be curious to know if it does the same for you.  If you are using a firestick:  

• Put on a show of any kind (not music).
  • Set your volume to a decent level (even better if you have the ability to see the actual # of the volume level.  My normal listening volume on my setup is 30.
  • Set a 10 second timer using your fire remote.
  • After 10 seconds the reminder popup will show up on your tv with the reminder itself and the alarm.
  • Click the dismiss button and see what happens to your volume.  At this moment is when my volume output is decreased probably 50%.  I still have volume but significantly decreased.
  • If you are able to view your volume level # you should notice that although it is much quieter, the volume # will be the same (30 on my tv).
  • If this recreates on your end you can fix it by simply asking Alexa the time.  For whatever reason it reverts back to “normal audio output”.  So strange.

Firstly it’s great to hear you have discovered the root-cause and I will definitely try this after dinner and report back and let you know, although I’m fairly sure I clicked the ‘dismiss’ button on screen yesterday when I tried this. Anyhow let me try again and come back to you.

Ah, just tried it and ‘yes’ volume does reduce - by about 30% approx. here. I might have cancelled it with a voice command yesterday then (perhaps🤔?) - and it’s also correct that asking for the time etc; restores the volume level.

Nice catch.👍 I guess Amazon will sort it with an update at some point.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

The Amazon support guy was great.  He is now as bummed out as I am knowing this was happening to him also ha.  He had never previously used reminders/alarms through his firestick ti have experienced it himself, but really liked that the reminder pops up and fills the entire screen.  The biggest thing to note when/if you do try and recreate is to make sure your volume is at a listening volume prior to starting the process.  If its down really low to begin with you may not notice.  This happened to the support guy as well.  But then once he turned it up and tried again it was a significant difference.  That and because the output is lowered so much, the max volume is also not as loud as it could/should be.  That is how I figured this entire thing out to begin with was watching a movie with my wife and I have my volume maxes out and couldnt understand why it wasnt blowing my ear drums out ha.  Typically a level 30 on my Beam is plenty loud enough.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Oh man I must missed your reply.  Thats crazy!  So very annoying.  But hey its been great chatting.  As soon as I hear of a fix I will share with the community.

Thanks again Ken!

Rick,

I have a similar issue that, I think, was solved by me disabling the Sonos ‘Skill’ (as Alexa calls it) in the Alexa Android app. Do you know whether you had the ‘skill’ on?

John

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Rick,

I have a similar issue that, I think, was solved by me disabling the Sonos ‘Skill’ (as Alexa calls it) in the Alexa Android app. Do you know whether you had the ‘skill’ on?

John

Thanks for the note.  So by doing this you can no longer talk to Alexa through any of your Sonos speakers is that right?  

Rick,

John

Thanks for the note.  So by doing this you can no longer talk to Alexa through any of your Sonos speakers is that right?  

You can still talk to Alexa through the Fire remote without the Skill on. But if you’re wanting to use Alexa via Sonos in a different room than your Fire remote, I guess my approach wouldn't work.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Rick,

John

You can still talk to Alexa through the Fire remote without the Skill on. But if you’re wanting to use Alexa via Sonos in a different room than your Fire remote, I guess my approach wouldn't work.

I think it actually works. Both of my other Sonos speakers are set up through their respective Echo Dot so I’m actually using Alexa through those Dots. This should work. Thanks again!

Hi all. So I was finally able to isolate the issue and recreate. Currently have a Sonos beam connected via arc to my LG TV. Everything works and sounds great……until I set a reminder on my echo show which announces on several other echo devices AND my Sonos Beam through my tv. What happens is, once the reminder is communicated through my Beam, the volume on my Sonos Beam is altered (significantly lowered) and my 100% volume is not very loud at all. Normally I can’t hardly stand next to it at 100% volume but after this reminder I can crank it to 100% no problem.

sIm struggling to figure out if this is a Sonos, Alexa, or TV issue?  Only when I unplug the tv, beam, and fire stick will the audio revert back?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rick 

I think I have a solution but this issue happens on my Sony TV with a firestick. I have not got any Alexa embedded to Sonos. 

I have a firestick. When I am watching something like YouTube or Netflix and set a timer on Alexa once it's gone off the TV streaming volume drops.

The solution I have found is to ask Alexa on the firestick to set volume to 10 - note I don't mean turn up the TV volume, it's just asking Alexa to set volume to 10. 

Then the original volume is restored and the TV volume is still at it's original setting.