Skip to main content
Answered

5.1 set up in an open plan room with wet UFH

• 15 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi 

We have a 5.1 set up with a 1gen beam and 2 sonos play in our front living room. We are creating an open plan extension and looking to create the same (or better) in the TV area (which is the wall with the 2 single windows). The floor will have wet UFH and I assume I need to cable in power to middle of the floor to have power sockets for each speaker. Thinking double socket to live under sofa (which will be an L shaped sofa. I’ve attached floor plan and also looking to how this should tie in else where. We will get an Arc and we have several sonos 1’s that could be used for rear speaker. Considered using ceiling speakers for atmos instead of 5.1 set up. I’d love some advice on set up for all open plan area inc dining and kitchen. I’m also thinking of finally adding a sub as no attached neighbour on the media wall. All advice welcome as I;d like to ensure I get the cabling right for contractors and take advantage of black friday deals before my other half says we cant afford them!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stargal 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It sounds like you already have a plan! I would recommend using self-contained speakers over using in-ceiling speakers, however, as surround speakers are supposed to be at your head height and behind you, rather than above you, so I would recommend getting sockets fitted while you have the chance to do so easily.

With that in mind, by all means use speakers you already have as surrounds, but the best solution would be to have two Era 300 speakers behind your viewing position - these will expand your Arc setup to be 7.1.4 rather than 5.1.2 (the last digits referring to height channels).

It’s recommended to locate Sub in front of you, but a source of bass can be difficult to locate, which means you have a bit more leeway in regards to placement than you do with other speakers. Please experiment however - often, moving Sub an inch or two in any direction can affect how much you hear it quite significantly. In the corner of the two new walls might be just the spot.

The Dining room might be a more appropriate place to locate in-ceiling speakers if you want ambient music there, though you will save money by going for self-contained speakers again. If you get Era 300s for your Home Theatre setup, perhaps you will still have some Ones going spare for here?

It’s the same story for the Kitchen, though in this case I really would recommend self-contained speakers here as the value of having a voice assistant in the kitchen can’t be overstated - especially if hands are covered in dough or whatever!

I hope this helps - if you have more questions, please don’t hesitate!

Thank you so much Cory! Oh yes our Sonos 1s are invaluable as a kitchen timer and recipe source. 
we’ll try for the era 300 but may have to prioritise sub ahead of that due to £££ and replace later. Will 

stay away from ceiling speakers