Skip to main content
Answered

5.1/multichannel music playback

• 23 October 2023
  • 5 replies

I have the arc and 2 x ones and they work fine together for movies giving me both atmos and surround from movies on my Apple TV + LG tv. 

But… I also have a blu-ray with music in 5.1 format. Can I somehow rip this and convert to something that can be played back correctly on my system? 

For my dvd and Blu-ray collection I have ripped these and store them on a NAS which the Apple TV can access and I then play back using Infuse. Works like a charm. My music collection is also on the NAS and I can get the Sonos app to play back tracks from it. 

What format should I pick for the music? Can the Sonos app somehow access and play it back in multichannel?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There's only sound on this Blu ray, no images? Would this matter when you would rip it and would play it via Infuse as you do your movies?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ninecows 

Thanks for your post!

As ​​​@106rallye states, there shouldn’t be an issue if you rip your BluRay as a movie, so that you end up with a mp4 or mkv file that you still play through your TV.

If you want to rip to an audio file, however, this will not be playable - surround sound audio is currently only supported via Home Theatre or supported streaming services (Amazon and Apple), not via Music Library.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. I will try to rip as movie and report back.

I know that 5.1 music is a niche thing, but it still feels stupid to turn your tv on, select a “movie” and have your tv show a dark screen in order to play music in surround.

It’s clearly a workaround and the convenience of just selecting the album from the Sonos app on your phone is gone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ninecows 

That’s a fair point.

Music Library is used by far fewer people than music services these days, so I assume that getting spatial audio from music services working was therefore a far higher priority than doing so with Music Library. Perhaps Music Library support for spatial audio is in the works already, but my guess is that it would only help a handful of people and therefore hasn’t been considered worth the effort as of yet.

So, I’ll tag this thread as a feature request - it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Thanks for the feedback!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That would be neat, I have several SACDs and DVDs I’d love to hear on my Sonos in surround mode without needing the TV on.