Skip to main content
Answered

300s direction when used as surrounds with no rear access - couch against wall

• 25 October 2023
  • 3 replies

I’ve searched and read lots of posts, but still can’t figure out the optimal direction to face my 300s.  I know some posts say just try each and see what sounds best, but I would like to first determine the theoretical best direction.

My couch is up against a wall and there is no way to place 300s behind (as you can see from the pics).  What is the best direction to face them?  It seems like the best would be to face them towards the TV so at least 1 of the sides is directed towards me and the other side is bouncing off the wall, but I would love to get some expert opinions.  

I don’t mind moving each speaker a bit before watching a movie, which would give me the 8 inches clearance recommended.

Left surround position - against wall ~6 feet from listening position

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KW8CD5QJg9V6bTLC9

Right surround position - against bookshelf ~14 feet from my position (I could move it behind the lamp table, which would make it 9 feet from me, but 3 feet from the right couch seat)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bR6WbkGVnup2T4Ew8

I’m thinking moving the right speaker behind the lamp table is the way to go, although it will be very close to that listening position, so I’m not sure.

Thanks so much for the advice!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Optimeist 

Thanks for your post!

Okay, so your current positioning isn’t right - but I understand why you’ve put them where you have.

For the speaker positioning, that’s best left to the people who actually have to live with it - you, and anyone you live with. You do want the speakers behind you, however - even if only just. If you have the space, I’d recommend pulling your sofa out from the wall by about a foot (30cm) or so and placing the speakers behind it (or behind the side tables). If they end up not being equidistant from you, you can adjust the relative positioning in the app (tell the app how far the speakers are from your listening position), or if you have a compatible iPhone/iPad, you can TruePlay, which will take care of that for you. Ideally, you want them to be equidistant, but that’s not always possible.

The angling is easy - your Era 300s will perform at their best when they are facing the wall that the TV is up against, rather than facing the TV or you. Basically, you want to line them up square and not angle them towards you at all. This puts all the speakers inside the 300s in their ideal positioning - if they were Sonos Ones, I’d say angle them in a bit to face you, but with the 300s, the side drivers will be angled towards you when the speaker unit is square.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks Corry, that is very helpful.

I went ahead and moved the right 300 to behind the lamp table, which seems to make more sense, even though it makes it very close to the right couch seat, 2 feet.  I moved the left one behind the other lamp table, so they are both around 2 feet from the left and right couch seats.

I do have an iphone so I can run TruePlay, but wanted to get the speaker positioning finalized first.

The 300s are already slightly behind my head (10-12 inches from middle of speaker) when reclined on the couch, but I may be able to move the couch out from the wall at least a few more inches.  

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Don’t hesitate to move things around, even a few inches and run Trueplay again. Finding the best sounding spot you can live with is your best bet.