Answered

Xbox series X, Samsung Q90r and Playbar, audio delay

• 10 November 2020
  • 17 replies

Afternoon All, 

I have jsut got the xbox serices X and they ahve remoed the optial out port which i used to connect my xbox x to the playbar with. So now my only option is to go back to the optical out from the TV’s conenction box. 

The problem with that is the audio is then delayayed when i set the xbox to bitstream and DD. This seem to be a well know problem with no obviouse solution. 

I have a couple of questions would a spliter like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extractor-Splitter-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B08CK59T9X/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+optical+splitter+60hz+xbox&qid=1605015709&sr=8-3 solve my problem and give me the option of puting the optical out from there rather than the TV? 

Or is i sold the playbar and got the beam and used hdmi arc would that work or would I still get the same audit lag.  (note there is no way to adjust the tv, xbox or sonos to fix audio lag only video lag :-( ) 

Any help you can provide would be appreciated

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 10 November 2020, 15:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

The lag you’re seeing is obviously introduced by your TV.  It’s possible that the HDMI-ARC connection on the TV is lag free, while optical is not, but doubtful.  Besides, the Beam would not be an upgrade in sound quality over the playbar.

People use splitters like the one you linked for similar issues all the time.  Can’t vouch for your specific choice, and not crazy about the ratings, but the device is likely fine for the job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Many of the newer Samsungs have all had firmware updates recently so check that. The newer firmware will also detect your Series X and configure Game Mode automatically, as well as other handy things for your awesome new console.

Is that a sense of pridethere, controlav? If so, likely deserved ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is that a sense of pridethere, controlav? If so, likely deserved ;)

LOL yeah, yesterday was an awesome day for Team Xbox, and I am proud to be a member of that team.

I have this exact problem. I have a 49 inch, Samsung Q80T.

My Xbox Series X is connected via HDMI to the TV and optical out from the TV to my SONOS Playbase. There is a significant delay in audio from the xbox despite changing the audio delay settings.

Will I need the extra piece of kit (splitter) to stop this??? Or have Samsung pushed out a firmware update? (I am at work and will check when I get home). The TV already detects the xbox and puts itself into game mode but there is still a delay in audio.

Any help would be really appreciated. I have been onto Sonos support about this for my previous Xbox but didn’t get anywhere.

After updating my Samsung TV to the new 1403 firmware, I still have an audio delay. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What are your Xbox Audio settings? Should be Bitstream / Dolby 5.1 (from memory, I am on vacation).

It is rare for optical to be delayed, esp on a modern Samsung.

HDMI audio is Bitstream out and Bitstream format is DTS surround sound

HDMI audio is Bitstream out and Bitstream format is DTS surround sound

DTS is not the right option, as it’s not supported by Sonos.  No option for Dolby 5.1?

I’ve tried all settings. 5.1 is not present, The only options are DTS surround sound, Dolby Digital, Dolby ATMOS for home theatre and DTS:X for home theatre. I current have it now on Dolby Digital 

Userlevel 1
Badge

What are your Xbox Audio settings? Should be Bitstream / Dolby 5.1 (from memory, I am on vacation).

It is rare for optical to be delayed, esp on a modern Samsung.

Not OP, but I gave up on Atmos/Bitstream on my Series X for now. I have it connected to my Arc with eArc enabled in the TV and the TV audio set to Passthrough. The audio lag is quite noticeable and I’ve seen similar reports from people with all sorts of tv models and soundbars so the issues don’t  seem exclusive to a specific TV or even Sonos soundbars. 

I’ve tried all settings. 5.1 is not present, The only options are DTS surround sound, Dolby Digital, Dolby ATMOS for home theatre and DTS:X for home theatre. I current have it now on Dolby Digital 

Dolby digital should be right setting, but controlav can confirm.  Do you have other video sources?  And you had the same issue with your previous xbox.    I would look at the TV audio setting if you haven’t explored that already.  I probably go ahead and get an optical extractor anyone, as they are cheap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Dolby digital should be right setting, but controlav can confirm.  Do you have other video sources?  And you had the same issue with your previous xbox.    I would look at the TV audio setting if you haven’t explored that already.  I probably go ahead and get an optical extractor anyone, as they are cheap.

Optical can only do DD 5.1 (or DTS, but Sonos cannot do it).

You must have the wrong setting somewhere because the options you are seeing (ATMOS, DTS:X) are physically impossible over optical.

I’ll have to check the settings on one of my XSX-s and playbar when I’m back from vacation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ok back from vacation. For any Xbox (including Series X | S) → HDMI → TV → optical → SonosHT device (eg Playbar):

Xbox audio settings: HDMI Audio = Bitstream, Bitstream Format = Dolby Digital

TV settings: vary by model, but enable optical output (usually disables built-in speakers).

Sonos should then report Silence, Dolby 2.0 or Dolby 5.1 depending on what the Xbox is doing.

Badge

The lag you’re seeing is obviously introduced by your TV.  It’s possible that the HDMI-ARC connection on the TV is lag free, while optical is not, but doubtful.  Besides, the Beam would not be an upgrade in sound quality over the playbar.

People use splitters like the one you linked for similar issues all the time.  Can’t vouch for your specific choice, and not crazy about the ratings, but the device is likely fine for the job.

Try a new soundbar. The comments here saying this is obviously a TV or xbox issue are not accurate. I had a very similar issue with a Sony X900h, Series X and Sonos Beam with eARC enabled. This was completely eliminated when I replaced the Beam with a Sony HT-Z9F soundbar with all the same settings on the TV and xbox. 

I encourage you to try a new soundbar (which can easily be returned if the issue persists) and assess if the Sonos is the culprit. Had I done so sooner, I would have saved a lot of time. 

Cheers,
A

Ok back from vacation. For any Xbox (including Series X | S) → HDMI → TV → optical → SonosHT device (eg Playbar):

Xbox audio settings: HDMI Audio = Bitstream, Bitstream Format = Dolby Digital

TV settings: vary by model, but enable optical output (usually disables built-in speakers).

Sonos should then report Silence, Dolby 2.0 or Dolby 5.1 depending on what the Xbox is doing.

Hi - What are the wire and software settings for a samsung tv with the samsung one connection box and a sonos playbar? Note: the Samsung tv no longer has direct inputs opting to use a connection box. Experiencing poor functionality when interacting with game players. Ie no conversation audio for my character or the character interacting with UNLESS i pull up the game menu. In which case, i then here the delayed audio but no ambient sounds until i close the menu.