Answered

Xbox One X playing DTS UHD Blu ray - LG C9 - ARC - How??

• 15 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

I tried watching Dunkirk UHD Blu ray this morning which has a DTS-HD MA soundtrack. I know the Arc cannot decode DTS and cannot currently receive 7.1 LPCM, but I thought the Xbox One X could encode Dolby digital on the fly? If I have my Xbox set to bitstream Dolby digital or Dolby Atmos I get no sound (Sonos app says it is receiving ‘silence’) from the arc if my C9 is set to pass through (eARC on). If I change the tv to PCM I get 2.0 stereo (presumably this is the tv downsampling the bitstream signal to LPCM). Given the recent C9 firmware upgrade, once Sonos have released their promised update enabling 7.1 LPCM I presume I can just set my Xbox to output to 7.1 uncompressed and away I go. However, anyone got any idea how I can get this working before then? UHDs and games with Dolby Atmos soundtracks work perfectly already btw.

icon

Best answer by Turnwood2011 20 June 2020, 08:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge

I have now fixed this problem.  You need to go to Xbox settings - devices and streaming - Blu-ray and then untick the setting called ‘Let my receiver decode audio’.  Now Sonos confirms that it is receiving Dolby Atmos despite the Blu-Ray having a DTS soundtrack.

Badge

Have just been doing some testing with my Xbox one while watching Deepwater Horizon UHD, which has a Dolby Atmos True HD soundtrack. In order to get DTS soundtracks to play using the Arc it is necessary to untick the option under the Xbox Blu ray settings called ‘let my receiver decode audio’. This will make the Xbox recode DTS to Dolby Atmos on the fly. However, when watching Deepwater Horizon I noticed that my Sonos App was stating that it was only receiving a lossy Dolby Atmos signal. In order for Sonos to receive a True HD signal it is necessary to reselect the above option under the Blu ray settings. In essence, this means that when watching Blu rays i will need to change this setting depending on whether I am watching a movie with a DTS or Dolby Atmos True HD soundtrack. No biggy, but something I thought I would share here anyway.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’m watching Terminator 2 dtshd via my Xbox one x, why is it that on my app it showing Dolby Atmos, is it Atmos that I’m listening to?

Userlevel 7

I’m watching Terminator 2 dtshd via my Xbox one x, why is it that on my app it showing Dolby Atmos, is it Atmos that I’m listening to?

Probably not. An Xbox One X cannot convert a DTS-HD Master Audio track to Dolby Atmos. More than likely, the Xbox is just converting the DTS track to Dolby Digital 5.1 or multichannel PCM. If I had to guess, I would say it is more likely the former. Why the Sonos app detects it as Dolby Atmos, I have no clue.