Wireless connection between AMP and TV for in-ceiling speakers

• 6 March 2019
  • 2 replies

I have a set up where I have in-ceiling speakers which the wires are run into the electrial room connected to the sonos amp there. As the TV is down the hall, I'm wondering what (if any) options there may be to have the TV and the AMP connected to use the in-ceiling speakers for the tv as well. There is too much distance to run a lenghty wired HDMI cable to the amp.
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I couldn't find anything in my search.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

There is wireless HDMI tech out there, but I've not seen anything that are HDMI-ARC, and it seems that most don't even carry dolby digital 5.1 either. I'd also question the reliability when going through walls, as it appears you are. If HDMI cabling, or optical cables, are not an option, I'd consider relocating the sonos amp to location that can be reached by cable, and wiring the speakers from their.

It's worth noting that you may be able to using your in-ceiling speakers for surround sound. You could use a playbar/playbase/beam/ or 2nd Sonos amp connected to the TV, which would then wirelessly send surround audio to the Sonos amp in your electrical room. However, that wirelss connection is over 5.0 GHZ, which is not the best for travelling long distances or through walls.
thanks very much for the response! So am I understanding correctly that if I had a beam for example connected to the TV, that I would be able to also use AMP for the in-ceiling speakers and they would all in synch with the TV?