Will playbar work with latest update?

• 1 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
I’ve heard the latest update takes away the ability for the Playbar to act as a stand-alone speaker. I have it connected directly to my tv for sound via optical cable. Will the update kill my setup?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

My recent experience has been that the TV-to-Playbar will work fine after an upgrade to the latest version of the controller, but if you play songs from an iPhone, be prepared to be disappointed.
Userlevel 4
Badge
My wife plays from her phone. What happens with the update that causes a problem?
For Pete's sake, look at the various blog entries: using an iPhone with V9 of the controller, a few songs into a session, songs will stop playing and then pick up after 20 or 30 seconds. Then, a song will stop playing and then start on the next one. At some point, SONOS will probably simply stop. Look at the various comments with SONOS responses and you'll see that the default response will be that the issue is with Wi-Fi interference. I find all of this rather amusing: No change in Wi-Fi network, change in controller app, SONOS not working, it's gotta be a Wi-Fi interference issue. Frankly, as a long time SONOS user, I'm disappointed in how they're addressing this.
I haven't noticed any direct correlation between an upgrade to V9 and issues when playing audio stored on an iPhone. I'm not an iPhone user and never even store audio on my phone, much less play it on Sonos, so I'm far removed from the potential issue.

That said, when upgrades happen, your speakers are rebooted, and IP address conflicts can be introduced. That can cause issues and is the cause of most issues after upgrades. There are exceptions though so I wouldn't completely rule out a bug in the code.

If you submit a diagnostic and post the number here, someone on the Sonos staff should be able to look at it and determine whether it's a problem with the control or network interference.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
HI folks,

We're looking into an issue where iOS streaming encounters drop outs while the iOS device is locked and there are other AirPlay devices on the network. We'll update when we have more to share, but in the meantime you should be fine if you leave the phone unlocked, or play from any other source.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

If you're having trouble streaming from iOS devices, please see my post here about the fixes included in version 9.1, released today.