why does Arc mic turns on and off on its on regularly?

• 25 August 2023
  • 34 replies

Badge +4

I have an Arc and the mic turns on and off without warning at random times. It makes a tone every time this happens. It does it with music or the tv. I called sonos and got a replacement, but that didn't fix the issue. How is this happening with a capacitive touch button when nothing is touching it?

Is the device just designed horribly and there is no fix?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@withonen 

This could be accidentally I think… to be sure if your device is affected of the hardware problem or not, I would call Sonos support to check this. 

Userlevel 2

As I stated in a thread elsewhere:

Microphone randomly turning on or off on new Sonos Arc (with Google Assistant AND Sonos Voice Control).

Tested with various set-ups and input-sources. Took me 1 phone call with Sonos on Friday 26 January 2024. Monday 29 January 2024 in the morning a brand new Arc was delivered (from Poland to Holland). Tested it and the issue did not manifest. Free shipping for returning the faulty Arc. Good performance Sonos!!! I am very satisfied and happy!

Case closed.

I’ve added a port and turntable to my system (Arc, sub gen3, 2x era300’s) recently and when i play a record the microphone on my Arc keeps turning on and off even after switching it off physically. I’ve had to disable Sonos voice control on the app. 

Userlevel 2

@Drew12: Same here. Solved! Just contact Sonos. They will replace the Arc. Read above.

I just got the Arc yesterday and the mic is turning on and off on its own.

I am on hold with Sonos. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. Glad there is a forum here.

There seems to be no way to stop the speaker from tuning on the Mic.

I don’t like to thing someone could listen in to my home.

I called Cust service and was told there is nothing that can be done.

Down right irritating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Trailscape

Imho that should not be the way to handle this known hardware issue. Normaly Sonos will send you a replacement if they had checked your device and are sure it’s that bug. I would try again to call support team. 

There is a hardware fault with a batch of units. Contact SONOS support.

I started getting this just about a week ago after no issue since January. I disabled Sonos voice control and it is gone now. No more ping pongs.