Wall mount beam no wires showing

• 18 December 2018
  • 5 replies

I purchased the beam and corresponding mounting kit to mount the sound bar underneath my tv, with the plan to have no wires showing. However, I was told you can't just take the power cord and put behind the wall because it's not up to code. The picture shown with the mounting kit shows it without any wires. Does anyone have recommendations on how to wall mount the beam (or any sound bar) just below the tv (few inches) without any wires showing, and still to electrical code?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi kibbleni

Sonos (TMK) is not in the business of providing guidance on installing wires inside of walls as every city and/or municipality can be differ from the basic requirement. Sonos provides electrical wiring/connector that meets a countries requirements to plug their product into an electrical outlet. The potential liability for Sonos to provide guidance regarding in wall wiring is too great. I doubt seriously that you'll find any further advice on the subject in this forum. Your best option is to contact a professional installer.

Cheers!
You would need to have an electrician install a recessed plug behind the Beam.
You could also do something like this, if you're comfortable cutting into the walls yourself. Can't spefically what does or doesn't meet local code.

https://www.amazon.com/Datacomm-50-3323-WH-KIT-Panel-Organizer-Solution/dp/B001PB7UVA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545149312&sr=8-4&keywords=wall+mount+tv+power+kit

Or you could get a cord concealer.

https://www.amazon.com/Concealer-System-Covers-Cables-Cords/dp/B07F26FZS5/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1545149416&sr=8-18&keywords=wall+mount+tv+power+kit
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you know what you are doing melvimbe's suggestions or many similar options are a good solution. If you don't know your way around wiring or hesitate to do the wall work then hire it out. Your electrical guy will probably want to order the parts themselves so talk to them before you grab something.
I did contact an installer. He gave me a couple options that weren't great. You could do a recessed plug behind the beam but that seems expensive and too big for just the beam to not show. Could also put it directly under the TV mount but that would cover the buttons on top. Last could put insulated tubing around the power cord but that is not technically to code, just reduces the risk. None of these seemed great options to what I thought would be pretty easy. I may just end up resting on the TV stand and ditch the mount.