Volume on TV/Beam always resets to zero when TV turned off/on.

• 20 August 2018
  • 50 replies

I have the new Beam, play1s and a sub working with the LG TV. All generally works well, but I have found recently that if I turn off the TV, or if it goes into sleep mode, that the volume is set to zero on the beam (surround sound system) and needs to be manually turned up again using the TV remote. I am actually using an Apple TV in the setup, but the Sonos beam is connected to the HDMI ARC port. Like I said all works well, except this little niggle.. Anyone else seen this? Any ideas Sonos support team? thanks

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, russellkelly. Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community. Would you mind replicating the problem and submitting a diagnostic report? Be sure to reply here with the confirmation number it gives at the end, and we can take a closer look.

Thanks!
Hi Keith

The confirmation number is: 1390336862
Was there a solution to this at all? Having the same issue. Thanks!
Hsaving the same issue with a beam on an older LG tv

I just purchased a Beam and I'm having a similar issue with my Sony Bravia XBF55X900F connected via arc. Whenever I turn off the Bravia the Beam volume gets set to zero/mute. Then when I start any audio source, be it the TV or streaming music from my phone, I have to manually unmute and turn up the volume. 

I’m having a similar issue with my Beam, AppleTV, and Samsung TV. If I pause something on the AppleTV for a little while, the volume will go to 0. Seems to also do it when switching inputs from streaming music over to TV. Any solutions or ideas as to what is causing it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @chevyman142000,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your question. 

Do you know if your Apple TV is passing audio to your Beam via Airplay or are you sending line-out audio to your TV and then on to your Beam?

If you could submit a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number in your response, I’d be happy to take a look at it.

Hello @chevyman142000,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your question. 

Do you know if your Apple TV is passing audio to your Beam via Airplay or are you sending line-out audio to your TV and then on to your Beam?

If you could submit a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number in your response, I’d be happy to take a look at it.

I’m sending line-out to my tv and then to the Beam. Diagnostic submitted. Number is 410384335. Thank you for looking!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thank you, @chevyman142000.

Can you confirm that the CEC feature on your Samsung TV is enabled?

Samsung calls this CEC functionality “Anynet+” if it is enabled can you test if this volume behavior occurs on any other external sources on your TV?   

Yes, that is on and I definitely use it. I was wondering if that is the issue and that it isn’t a Sonos issue. I don’t have any other devices connected, so I can’t tell you for sure. I’ll see if I can dig up an old Roku device or something and test it out. Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi!  I’m having the same issue - I have a 5.1 setup with a Beam + 2 Play:1’s + Sub.  

I’m running it through HDMI ARC to my Sony XBR-65X810C and use a Roku Ultra connected through HDMI to my tv.  I use Bravia to let my TV volume controls move the volume up and down the Sonos.  

Every time I turn the TV on, I notice that the volume resets to 0.  

Any help would be great! 

Johnny

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @chevyman142000,

Please test and report back. This is definitely an issue with how the Apple TV specifically interfaces with the TV and how they work together to pass through the audio to your Sonos Beam, it’s just a matter of finding the right moving part to adjust. 

@JohnnyDo123 does your Roku have a remote control that behaves differently than your TV remote? 

If you submit a diagnostic report  while the audio is still set to 0 it may shed some light on this. Be sure to include the confirmation number in your response.    

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Jean C. I think it may have to do with when I switch the Sonos 5.1 system to music and then back to the TV.  I’ve noticed a few times where the TV does hold the previous volume level before turning off the TV.  I will test it out later.  

For my Roku and my TV, I use a Harmony Hub Remote.  I don’t put my Sonos onto my Harmony since my TV has ARC and when I turn the TV volume up and down, it transfers that to the Sonos.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @JohnnyDo123,

Thank you for your response. Please let us know after the test and be sure to include a diagnostic confirmation in your response.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, sorry for the delay - I think I have figured out a solution for my volume resetting to 0.  

I noticed that after I turn on the TV and put some video on (ie Netflix/Hulu) with my Roku, the sound level is restored to whatever I had left it before turning the TV off last.  

If I manually turn the volume up before any volume comes on, it does start from 0.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JohnnyDo123,

Thank you for the update. Please reach out if you have any other questions about your system.   

Just as a note for others who stumble on this thread, and use a Harmony remote, a while back Logitech/Harmony added a volume setting to the process of turning on a TV, as well as changing inputs. It’s worth double checking those settings in the Harmony setup app. I had to make some slight adjustment to one of my remotes, as it was setting the volume to zero when changing inputs, but not when turning on the TV. 

Userlevel 1

I'm seeing this too, it's super frustrating.

Whenever I turn off my Sony tv (which recently had an android TV software upgrade) the Sonos beam goes to mute (green light on).

If I then try and group the speaker in to play music it remains muted until I adjust volume and then manually unmute. Even turning the volume up and down doesn't make it play, I have to unmute it.

This didn't used to happen, not sure if it was a recent Sonos update or the android TV update that caused it.

Userlevel 1

Actually, just discovered this evening that it's when we turn the TV off using Alexa integration that's the problem. Normal remote is just fine.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm also experiencing this with the beam, the volume becomes muted whenever I turn off my TV using Google assistant, but not with the remote.

Userlevel 1

This is happening to my family as well. Beam + 2 One SLs as rears; Beam is connected via optical adapter.

Diagnostic number is 1243791300.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@evangallo,

Are you using just your TV remote to turn off the TV or are you using a voice assistant or harmony remote to turn off the TV?

Can you include the make/model of your TV so that we can see if it is a “feature” within the TV itself or due to a firmware update on that device? 

Userlevel 1

@Jean C. - Just the TV remote. It’s a Samsung UN60J6200AF.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Excellent, Thank you for that @evangallo.

Can you verify the audio format that your Samsung TV is outputting and verify that both the optical connection and the HDMI cable are firmly connected with your Sonos Beam?

Are you able to submit a diagnostic report right after your Beam mutes and the light is still green on the player?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Same issue here with an LG E9P OLED and the Arc.  Sound resets to 0 every time I turn on the TV.