Volume on TV/Beam always resets to zero when TV turned off/on.

• 20 August 2018
  • 50 replies

I have the new Beam, play1s and a sub working with the LG TV. All generally works well, but I have found recently that if I turn off the TV, or if it goes into sleep mode, that the volume is set to zero on the beam (surround sound system) and needs to be manually turned up again using the TV remote. I am actually using an Apple TV in the setup, but the Sonos beam is connected to the HDMI ARC port. Like I said all works well, except this little niggle.. Anyone else seen this? Any ideas Sonos support team? thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

Source: 

I understand that the TheTinMan solution doesn’t work for Apple users since ‘Hardware Volume Control’ is not listed in the App Preferences.

It is only possible for Android users.

correct?

Apple devices only work to control volume now when playing audio through their own products. So it works if using Airplay to play to your Sonos devices, for example.

Source: 

I understand that the TheTinMan solution doesn’t work for Apple users since ‘Hardware Volume Control’ is not listed in the App Preferences.

It is only possible for Android users.

correct?

Also having this problem - New Sonos amp, Sony TV, HDMI Arc - whenever I turn the TV on the volume is set to zero.  I see this thread is old, but I’ve seen no actual resolution or solution to this problem….

Clarification:  I checked “TV Autoplay” and now if I turn the TV off and on, the volume comes back which is great, however if I am playing around source through the Sonos, then come back later and turn the TV on, the volume is still zero. 

I had same issue with my Arc and LG oled cx (connected via earc) every time I turned tv on arc volume was at zero. I fixed this issue as follows…..

opened my Sonos app

Select App Preferences

Unchecked Hardware Volume Control

Set volume with tv remote then turned tv off. Turned tv back on and volume on Arc

was where I left it before. 

This worked for me thx

Badge

Here's how I fixed mine:

1 opened app

2 select system

3 select your device (beam in my case)

4 turn on TV Autoplay

Yes. Thanks for this, as it also worked for me. Since initial installation of the beam it has worked until we lost power on the Beam ( a cleaning even :-)). Maybe this power loss resets TV autoplay setting in the app.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. 

Robert

Two years ago, there was a post from a Sonos employee that suggested submitting a diagnostic, and calling in to Sonos. See the post from Paul A. above.

Hi, I am having this same issue with a sonos sound bar and LG tv. Are there any solutions? **EDIT** scrap that, just read solution from The Tin Man and it’s worked! Thank you!

I had same issue with my Arc and LG oled cx (connected via earc) every time I turned tv on arc volume was at zero. I fixed this issue as follows…..

opened my Sonos app

Select App Preferences

Set volume with tv remote then turned tv off. Turned tv back on and volume on Arc

I’ve read through many pages of posts (sonos website, Reddit, etc.) and this advice WORKED PERFECTLY to solve my issue whereby when I turn TV on and start YouTubeTV via Roku, the Sonos volume on the Playbar, Sun and play1 SL surround sound is ZERO or muted.  

worked the next time I turned on my TV, as well as 1 day after!

TY “TheTinMan”!!!

@Ken_Griffiths yes turning TV Autoplay seem to have fixed this issue. Manny thanks

Having the same issue. Beam connected via HDMI cable to a Samsung TV. Diagnostic number is 1696086. Please can you help?

This is quite an old(ish) thread, but there are a number of suggestions in the posts here that appeared to fix the issue, albeit that was 3 months ago - have you perhaps tried the various fixes that are mentioned here?

Having the same issue. Beam connected via HDMI cable to a Samsung TV. Diagnostic number is 1696086. Please can you help?

I lied this didn’t solve the issue

I had this exact problem on both an Arc and a Beam connected to Sony TVs. I was using Ethernet for both of them when I was having this problem. Removed Ethernet and resumed using WiFi for both of them - problem went away. Mind blown.

Go into sonos app and reset the volume limit once you do that turn tv off and then on and you should have sound. It worked for me.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Here's how I fixed mine:

1 opened app

2 select system

4 turn on TV Autoplay

My Arc volume kept reverting back to zero even though Autoplay had already been enabled.  I disabled it, re-enabled it, and now it seems to have solved the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

opened my Sonos app

Select App Preferences

This seems to have done the trick for me as well. Thanks TTM.

I am using a Sony X800M2 blu-ray player, Sony A8H and Sonos Arc connected to my tv via e-arc.

After further testing, it fixed the zero volume level when I switch between sources.  But the volume will still revert to zero when I restart a blu-ray that has been paused for several minutes.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

opened my Sonos app

Select App Preferences

This seems to have done the trick for me as well. Thanks TTM.

I am using a Sony X800M2 blu-ray player, Sony A8H and Sonos Arc connected to my tv via e-arc.

Here's how I fixed mine:

1 opened app

2 select system

4 turn on TV Autoplay

opened my Sonos app

Select App Preferences

I think this has solved my same problem!

opened my Sonos app

Select App Preferences

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MichaelMorgan.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to recommend the following steps based on the order it is provided. Here is the complete guide on how to perform the steps below.

1. Log out of ALL Amazon-related apps which are and not limited to the following. (Amazon Prime, Amazon Shopping, Amazon Alexa, etc.) 
  2. Open the Amazon Alexa app and disable the Sonos Skill.
  3. De-register any Sonos product on the Alexa App.
  4. Open the Sonos App.
  5. Remove the Alexa Voice service.
  6. Force close Sonos app.
  7. Force close the Alexa App.
  8. Reopen the Sonos App. Add Alexa as a voice service.
  9. Open Alexa app Add Sonos as skill
  10. Register Sonos speaker
  11. Add music service.
  12. Test to check if it works.
  13. Submit a diagnostic to capture all information performed on the Sonos devices.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Having the same issue with a Samsung 55” TV with a beam and Alexa integration. When I use the remote all is good. When Alexa turns on the TV the volume is set to 0.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Borreboy 2.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. 

I would like to recommend following the steps indicated above which includes replicating the issue and submitting a diagnostic so we can further check what might be going on with your Sonos Arc. Please take note of the confirmation number and let me know.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Same problem here. 

LG C9 and Sonos Arc. 

Had Sonos Playbar before. No problem there...

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ewolkoff.

thanks for reaching out.

I would recommend trying to reboot the TV and the Arc. If this does not help, I would try checking volume limit on the Sonos app

If you submit a diagnostic report  while the audio is still set to 0 it may shed some light on this. Be sure to include the confirmation number in your response.   

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns.

Hi @russellkelly.

I would recommend trying to reboot the TV, Beam, Sub, and the 2 surrounds starting with the beam. After the Beam goes solid white, next would be the Sub and 2 surrounds. If this does not help, I would try checking volume limit on the Sonos app

If you submit a diagnostic report  while the audio is still set to 0 it may shed some light on this. Be sure to include the confirmation number in your response.   

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,