Answered

Virgin Media Sonos sharp bleep ‘follow content’

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have a beam and 2 play 1’s as my TV setup connected to HDMI ARC. Been working fine for over a year and I haven’t changed any settings I have audio ouput set to follow content so depending on channel/show it will change from Stereo PCM to Dolby 2.0 and 5.1. However all of a sudden when changing channel or entering an app eg Netflix where the output is changing between one of these there is a sharp bleep noise lasting 1-2 seconds which is pretty unpleasant almost everytime you change channels. Any assistance? I don’t want to have to change audio settings to just pcm as kind of defeats the surround sound point! Thank you

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 May 2022, 21:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It is unlikely to be a Sonos issue. They’re most likely playing what is being passed to them via the ARC connection. You may want to check on both the TV and Virgin Media to see if they have software updates which may alter this problem. 

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I’ve checked and everything is up to date. I’ve posted on the VirginMedia forums too. They did have an update about a month ago - didn’t mention any audio changes - but mine’s only been like this the last few days so it’s just a bit baffling to me. After some more in depth testing the bleep happens when going Stereo PCM to Dolby channel/show not vice versa though if that helps give more info. Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I’ve checked and everything is up to date. I’ve posted on the VirginMedia forums too. They did have an update about a month ago - didn’t mention any audio changes - but mine’s only been like this the last few days so it’s just a bit baffling to me. After some more in depth testing the bleep happens when going Stereo PCM to Dolby channel/show not vice versa though if that helps give more info. Thanks

Are you using their TiVo box and older service or their new TV 360 service? I’m a VM user but I’m using the old TiVo box and thats working fine here… no issues seen when switching between the different codecs or channels.

Hi,

Are you using their TiVo box and older service or their new TV 360 service? I’m a VM user but I’m using the old TiVo box and thats working fine here… no issues seen when switching between the different codecs or channels.

Hi,

Yea it’s the 360 box. Had it over a year with no issues only just within this last week suddenly a problem. Thanks

Hi,

Yea it’s the 360 box. Had it over a year with no issues only just within this last week suddenly a problem. Thanks

The one thing perhaps worth trying is re-seating, or trying a different HDMI cable from the Virgin 360 Box. I am assuming that the TV freeview tuner (if used) and all other connected peripherals are working okay?

As Bruce mentions, it’s likely the Sonos device is just playing the audio it’s receiving from the TV - try the HDMI-ARC/eARC port on ‘pass-through’ (if supported) and see what happens if you switch between ARC & eARC on the TV too, if you also have the option to do that.