Using Subwoofer Output From Rear Surround Sonos Amp Should Be An Option

• 14 May 2024
  • 2 replies

I have a client who has in-wall subs that are connected to an amp in the rack. When using an Arc or Beam for front stage, it would sure be nice to be able to use the sub output from a Sonos Amp functioning as the rear surround amp. I find it hard to believe this isn’t possible to fix via a firmware update. At the very least, there should be a way to use a Port as a dedicated sub pre-amp. Also, it would be nice to be able to use a Sonos Amp to run front height or width Atmos speakers in addition to an Arc. Again, this seems to be something these devices are already physically/technologically capable of, but just need to be updated. 

2 replies

Unfortunately, the Sonos Amp does not support using its sub output as a dedicated rear surround channel. The Amp is designed primarily for powering passive speakers and does not have the capability to function as a dedicated sub pre-amp. To achieve Atmos height channels, you would need to use Sonos speakers that specifically support Atmos, such as the Sonos Arc or Sonos Era 300. These speakers have built-in upward-firing drivers for height effects in Dolby Atmos content. 

Unfortunately, the Sonos Amp does not support using its sub output as a dedicated rear surround channel. The Amp is designed primarily for powering passive speakers and does not have the capability to function as a dedicated sub pre-amp. To achieve Atmos height channels, you would need to use Sonos speakers that specifically support Atmos, such as the Sonos Arc or Sonos Era 300. These speakers have built-in upward-firing drivers for height effects in Dolby Atmos content. 

Yes, I get that. That’s why I said “it would be nice”.