Using Sonos Arc for my media room with a projector.

• 31 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello!

I just purchased a sonos arc and a sub and want to connect that to a benq Ht3550 projector. Was hoping to use the eARC from the projector to the sonos arc but the benq does not have eARC. My question is, can i use a AVR and then connect my device (Amazon Fire Cube) to the AVR and have the video go to my projector and audio through eARC and then be connected to the Sonos? This sounds simple but i have also heard people talk about the HDFury. My question is what is it that the HDFury can do which an AVR wont do? So confused!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Sidvela.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted your Sonos to work with your projector. Allow me to share with you some information to help out.

I would like to set your expectation, connecting Sonos to a projector is not a recommended set up. Sonos home theater speakers such as the Sonos Playbar, Playbase, Beam, Amp, and Arc were designed to be connected directly to a TV. However, We can always reach out to other members of the community to see if they have any opinion or recommendations on this. There might be other members of the community who may have the same setup as you and for them, the setup might be working.

Let us try to reach out to other members of the community and check their recommendations and feedback. Everybody can lend a hand.

Thanks,

Hello. Has there been any update on this? Actually regret buying the arc and sub as I would have assumed it could connect to a projector

Hello. Has there been any update on this? Actually regret buying the arc and sub as I would have assumed it could connect to a projector

Hi.  I’m not sure what sort of update you are expecting?  Soundbar-based systems are inherently intended for use with TVs rather than projectors.  With a TV everything is in one place - the video connection, the audio connection, the source…. but with a projector there is a big distance between where the video needs to get to and where the audio is going to come from.

Also the Arc (as its name suggests) is designed to take an HDMI-ARC or eARC feed for audio, and that tends to be a feature of TVs but not projectors.  Even the optical alternative is often not available on projectors.  It is the nature of the beast.

It is still possible to use the Arc with a projector.   Your best bet, assuming that your source has an HDMI connection, would be to but an HDFury Arcane device, so that the audio can be sent to the Arc in an appropriate format and the video can be sent to the projector.

There is no way of getting round the need for a long HDMI cable somewhere, as the projector and screen are inevitably some distance apart. 

Thanks for the quick response John. Might look into the HDfury. Ideally I’d just buy a new projector with an hdmi eARC port 🤞🏼

Thanks for the quick response John. Might look into the HDfury. Ideally I’d just buy a new projector with an hdmi eARC port 🤞🏼

No problem.  I have a TV without eARC.  It has HDMI-ARC but cannot process Dolby Atmos, even in compressed form over DD+.  I wanted eARC and Atmos and the Arcana, although expensive, has worked brilliantly at a much lower cost than a new TV.

Make sure that if you buy a new projector you are very clear about what it can and cannot deliver, and whether that is everything you need.