Using Connect AMP together with Playbar

• 22 November 2017
  • 8 replies

I would like to set up the Playbar but take advantage of older KEF subwoofer and bookshelves I have to have a complete 5.1 system. So I have been thinking of getting a Connect:AMP and connect to it the subwoofer and the 2 bookshelves. Would this Connect:AMP system work in sync and in low latency with the Playbar to complete a 5.1 experience?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I suspect that the FAQ would cover most of your questions;

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061
Thanks for the artible link.

TruePlay Tuning work when Connect:Amp is driving the rears?

Article did not mention wired connection for the Sub. Can it be wireless or does it need to be wired to same switch?
No, I don't think it does. I suspect that there is too many variables in tuning another company's speaker for TruePlay to work.

The Sonos SUB can be wireless, it would connect to the PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE on the 5Ghz frequency (which doesn't exist in the CONNECT:AMP, hence it needs to be wired).
This totally sucks. The links are not working. Get Customer portal is not enabled on multiple browsers. Poor documentation and apparently poor customer support.
Ah, they recently changed the way that the FAQs are stored on their website. Try this one:

Setting up CONNECT:AMP as surround speakers
So, am I understanding this right? According to that article, when I couple the connect:amp to a playbase in bonded mode, the sub and line out are disabled? Has this changed? I'd love to ALSO be able to plug by current (non-Sonos) sub into the connect:amp, so I could have a playbase coupled to my old in-ceiling surround speakers and the sub I have. I don't want to buy a Sonos sub (the connect:amp and the playbase are expensive enough!)
No this has not changed, and it won't be in the future. The Connect:Amp can only receive two channels, and the dedicated '.1' sub channel cannot be merged into the surrounds without messing up the soundtrack mastering, so there is no fixing it.
Good to know, thanks, "it can't ever work" is a lot easier to deal with than not knowing! 🙂 I can make due without the sub.