Answered

using an hdmi splitter

• 31 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi. Just linked my new Beam to existing sub and play:1s and get great sound from the TV via the Sonos surround sound set up. I also want to link my blu ray player and freesat top box to my Tv and listen to them via my Sonos speakers but only have 1 hdmi cable into the Tv so thought I could use an hdmi splitter to switch between sources. Am I correct and if so what features of a splitter do I need to look for. Thanks

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 31 July 2023, 00:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Technically, what you want is an HDMI switch, that takes many selectable inputs, and has a single HDMI output to your TV. These are ubiquitous, even on Amazon, or should be easy to get from your electronics store. 

Any switch that handles at least HDMI 1.4 would be OK, but may be harder to find. You’d probably have an easier time finding an HDMI 2.1 switch. 

Badge +1

Thanks Bruce. So something like this? A  SGEYR HDMI Switch, HDMI Switcher with Remote, Hdmi 1.4 Switch, Usb Switch 2 Computers, KVM Switch Hdmi, Displayport Switch, Usb Switcher, USB KVM Switch HDMI, for Printer, Mouse, Laptops, Keyboard

No, not a KVM switch, a simple HDMI switch. Picking something at random, like this. Note that I don’t use one, this is not a recommendation about this one in particular. There are a lot of threads in this area of the forums from people who do use them. 

In essence, you're seeking an HDMI kaleidoscope, an otherworldly device that allows you to traverse numerous selectable inputs, converging them into a single mesmerizing HDMI output to grace your TV.

These ethereal devices are known to exist in the digital realms, accessible through mystical marketplaces like Amazon or enchanted electronics stores. While an HDMI 1.4 celestial switch would suffice, the celestial convergence of HDMI 2.1 switches might manifest more readily in your quest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Mouettes You own a TV with only one HDMI connection? Are you sure? Which make and type number?

Badge +1

I have more HDMI ports it is just the Tv is on the wall above a fireplace with a single HDMI cable within the wall coming from an adjacent cupboard where the freesat and Blu-ray players. Just want to not have cables showing.