Question

Using a RF TV remote with a Playbar

• 18 June 2013
  • 17 replies

My brand new Samsung RF remote will not control the volume on my Sonos Playbar. Is there any way around this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello Graham, What model of Samsung TV (or remote) are you currently using? Please let me know what the model number is and I'd be happy to assist further. If you have a cable or satellite remote, you can also program that to control the PLAYBAR's volume. Here's an FAQ with some common remotes and how to program for use with the PLAYBAR: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2083
Hi Ryan The model no is UE55F8000 and the remote is the really nice silver unit supplied with the TV. Surely there must be a way to sort this.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Ah, thank you for the clarification. It looks like the UE55F8000's remotes are indeed RF, which is why the PLAYBAR is not responding to them. The PLAYBAR is able to accept commands from IR remotes, but not RF remotes. In this case, the Samsung's RF remotes will unfortunately not work with the PLAYBAR. I believe the best route to take, in this case, is to use an alternate remote from a cable / satellite box (if you have one) and use that with the PLAYBAR instead.
Userlevel 1
Ah, thank you for the clarification. It looks like the UE55F8000's remotes are indeed RF, which is why the PLAYBAR is not responding to them. The PLAYBAR is able to accept commands from IR remotes, but not RF remotes. In this case, the Samsung's RF remotes will unfortunately not work with the PLAYBAR. I believe the best route to take, in this case, is to use an alternate remote from a cable / satellite box (if you have one) and use that with the PLAYBAR instead.
That is so bunk. How could a ccompany based on the idea of being wireless not support Rf?? I just spent over $3k on my sonos system only to find out I have to use two remotes??? #lame
Userlevel 1
Badge
I own a Philips 46PFL9707S and the remote is also RF, and it doesn't works with the Playbar.
I'm thinking about buying the Harmony One from Logitech to get it working with everything.
Userlevel 1
I own a Philips 46PFL9707S and the remote is also RF, and it doesn't works with the Playbar.
I'm thinking about buying the Harmony One from Logitech to get it working with everything.

Hi, I have tried both the Harmony One and another of their models.  They are only a compromise and I found them frustrating and slow to use.  Eventually sold them on ebay.  Until Sonos sort this situation out the problem will not go away.  Very frustrating!!  Good luck with the Harmony though
Userlevel 1
I totally agree.  You can imagine the CEO of Sonos saying "
WTF...... which idiot forgot about RF?  We're a wireless hardware company!!!"
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi everyone,

If you're using a Samsung F-series television, we have some steps to get the included Smart Remote working with Sonos. You can find instructions on how to do so in this thread:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/turning_off_the_samsung_f8500_tv_message_when_playbar_is_connecte...

If you have any questions on getting these remotes working with the PLAYBAR, please make a post in the linked thread.

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi Pol, does the television come with an IR extender? The PLAYBAR won't be able to recognize RF commands, but some TVs (like the Samsung F-series) come with IR extenders that you can use to broadcast the RF remote's commands via IR to other devices.
Hi All,

Is there a workaround for the Philips 46pfl8008 also rf I do not own a stb as I use the internal tuner with a ci+ module. I'm restricted to this remote.

Kind Regards

Shailinder
How about LG-55UB850T, its magic remote is also using RF
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Gavin, don't know if you get it to work but it works if you configure the PlayBar at Phillips soundbar on the LG
I am trying to get a rf remote to work with the playbar but the link above is not working is there anyway to get this to work?
It is a samsung f series tv
If Sonos used HDMI they would not have this problem and the volume indicator on the TV would work. This is BS to pay this much for a soundbar and have to use 2 remotes.
I found a work around it just takes some research and a little know how sonos is still a great product
Follow the steps below to configure your Samsung K series remote to control the PLAYBAR.

Go to the Home menu on the Samsung TV, scroll left and select Sources.
Select Universal Remote. If this is your first time setting this up, you will be asked to set up your Universal Remote. Select Start.
Before we add the Sonos PLAYBAR, you will first need to complete the remote set up for your cable, satellite, or Blu-ray player. Click “New Device” and select the device you are adding.
Once you’ve added your other devices, select New Device > Home Theater System.
Type Sonos in the search box and select it, then select Optical for the input.
You will be asked to do a power test. Click the Power Test button which will then ask you if it worked, select Yes and then Done.
Go back to the Universal Remote setup and select one of the other input devices you've added in (cable box or Blu-ray player). Click on the other input devices and select Use with Home Theater. Do this for all of your active inputs.
Your Samsung K series remote will now output IR which the Sonos PLAYBAR supports.