Upgrading TV seems to also force a Sonos upgrade, which leads to more choices.

• 28 September 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Currently I have an 8+ year-old TV that has performed well but it is heading toward an honorable retirement. It is mounted in a corner of the viewing room on an articulated wall mount as will its larger, more technically adept replacement (LG QNED85AQA) with such new feats as Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision and I’m hoping enough simplicity to learn how to use it. I will also attach an Apple TV (latest available currently) since I love the interface. I also requirement a second box from Dish TV to give me local channels and traditional viewing. (This is non-negotiable for other household members.)

For audio the current setup is a Sonos Playbar mated to a early Sonos Subwoofer and a pair of Play:1s for rear channel.

1. I imagine I’ll hook the Playbar up via optical to start while fiddling with the TV and sorting the video. This is also where I listen to music so I can maintain a happy status quo in that capacity.

1. Once that’s sorted no doubt I will want the Atmos effect. Literally, a 2-minute store demo impressed me with the ARC while it was just sitting on a shelf with little thought to its positioning. The ARC presents one problem: money. It’s more expensive and then I also need to get a least a somewhat pricey mount to place it where it should be.

1. There are two other alternatives for a temporary or semi-permanent solution. I have a Gen 1 Sonos Beam upstairs where it’s rarely used. So that could replace the Playbar with some advantages like an HDMI input replacing optical. But does it offer anything the Playbar doesn’t? Especially since the sound is not there.

1. The final possibility is to forego the ARC and get the Beam Gen 2. It’s not as overpowering for ATMOS but at least it’s supported and I’m wondering if my somewhat faltering ears will really appreciate the difference.

Have I missed any possibilities here? Anyone want a nice Playbar in trade for a well-treated ARC?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

3 won’t work, the Beam Gen 1 won’t do Atmos, it requires a Gen 2….and I’d still recommend an Arc, especially if you’re accustomed to a PLAYBAR in that space. 

Sonos doesn’t allow trades/sales in this forum.