Upgrade to real home theater kit

• 7 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi Sonos creators,

As u may know I do have the whole sonos collection in order to play movies at its highest level…...BUT…..Is it possible that Sonos will work someday with Dolby Atmos company in L.A. on a  possibility of adding more units and upgrades in order to run this new sound system as good as those 11.2 domestics home theater sound systems from today. 

For instance:

1- using the arc soundbar at a lower center and another one above the television, using the sonos five for the lower fronts, two sonos ones for higher fronts….and same thing for the sides and the rears?

Presently I have the arc soundbar, a pair of Sonos Five for surrounds and 2 subs (1front and 1 rear), of course it sounds real good….BUT…….some’s really missing…….the heights and the sides !!!…..I know, would cost a fortune to add all those units but damn it’s sound terrific wooffff……...By the way nice design….very small units for their power capacities…...very high end components…..see I’m not even using my kit in my own home theater room in the house but if Sonos comes in one day with all these upgrade possibilities and of course with that, making sure they will keep up with providing updates for the next ten years at least……..I would never appreciate to have such a kit and having them announcing: “no more updates” for my products just a few years after such an investment.

What do u things guys?!!!

Cheers

Bimmers

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bimmers 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you for your feedback - although I can’t comment on our future plans and products, I can say that we are constantly looking to develop the Sonos product range and their capabilities. I will tag this thread as a feature request so that it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Sonos creators,

As u may know I do have the whole sonos collection in order to play movies at its highest level…...BUT…..Is it possible that Sonos will work someday with Dolby Atmos company in L.A. on a  possibility of adding more units and upgrades in order to run this new sound system as good as those 11.2 domestics home theater sound systems from today. 

For instance:

1- using the arc soundbar at a lower center and another one above the television, using the sonos five for the lower fronts, two sonos ones for higher fronts….and same thing for the sides and the rears?

Presently I have the arc soundbar, a pair of Sonos Five for surrounds and 2 subs (1front and 1 rear), of course it sounds real good….BUT…….some’s really missing…….the heights and the sides !!!…..I know, would cost a fortune to add all those units but damn it’s sound terrific wooffff……...By the way nice design….very small units for their power capacities…...very high end components…..see I’m not even using my kit in my own home theater room in the house but if Sonos comes in one day with all these upgrade possibilities and of course with that, making sure they will keep up with providing updates for the next ten years at least……..I would never appreciate to have such a kit and having them announcing: “no more updates” for my products just a few years after such an investment.

What do u things guys?!!!

Cheers

Bimmers

Not to cause a raucous on a Sonos forum, and I do really enjoy my sweet sounding Sonos ARC 5.1.2, there is however a sound bar system that seems like it might fit your “wish-you-had” list. I am currently testing/comparing the 11.1.4 channel Samsung HW-Q990B to my Sonos 5.1.2. Not only does this Q990B provide support for Dolby Atmos AND all the DTS Codecs to include DTS:X !!!!!!  it also provides two additional HDMI ports on the bar itself AND a wireless three-speaker rear speaker configuration including two more rear up-firing speakers adding to the two height channels on the the sound bar for a .4 experience. So if hearing detailed spacial/object based sound effects bouncing and directional all around your ceiling and room with very clear dialog is of interest oh and you can adjust center speaker volume too...just saying 😉

OTOH, there is this unconfirmed rumor to consider as well: “Sonos Optimo” 

https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/news/sonos/162493-sonos-optimo-speaker-rumours-release-date-specs-price-features

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/24/23319989/sonos-optimo-speaker-features-design

There is a tug of war between soundbars (from any manufacturer) and traditional (lots individual speakers) A/V equipment. Part of the lure of soundbars is quick and easy setup and few, if any, wires and boxes strewn all over the room. “Real” home theater, if you want to think of it in this way, is a LOT of trouble to install, setup, and operate. And, there are different levels of user involvement. For example, personally, I don’t care much about cars. While I do appreciate quality and high tech (for any device), as long as the car gets me there, clean, on time, and dry, I don’t care about any car details. I know people who are constantly looking for excuses to drive their car. In the city, I prefer to use public transportation whenever practical. In most cases, considering the hassle of finding parking at both ends of the trip, the public option consumes less of my time overall. I do care -- a lot -- about audio details.  I know lots of people who care a lot about cars and not so much about audio. 

Do what’s best for you, don’t worry about the other guy or gal.