Answered

Updated Setup: 65" LG CX, Apple TV 4K & Arc (w/ Sub & Surround SL)

• 2 December 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Obviously there have been a lot of conversations with these various hardware pieces working together. I am just trying to get un update now that there has been a firmware update on the LG CX and the Arc has been updated as well within the month. 

Can anyone put together a complete setup; settings; use guide for these items to ensure that it works optimally. Also, an order of operations on how to plug/unplug and set all of this up.

Hopefully my Arc set will be here soon (returning my Denon AVR receiver & new Sub) and would just like to hit the ground running. Previously, my ATV 4k was plugged in to the AVR and would go crazy and switch back and forth between TV sound & Multi so that I would have to reset it-making it completely useless and no one had any answers (LG, Apple nor Denon). I went against my better judgement with this setup and am hoping the Arc setup will make things easier.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am wondering if something like this could be officially put together by Sonos as a chart using the top 3/5/7/10 tvs or else by brand (LG, Sony, Samsung) and tv type (OLED etc.). I know it would change each year and as different firmwares and updates on equipment would come out but their has to be a centralized way to do this as the LG CX is one of the best and most popular high end tvs, the ATV is a natural way for people to manage content and the Arc is such an amazing tech (but new) that the these guys would get together and figure it out. LG would say-you don’t any of that just use our WebOS & our soundbar but yuck.

icon

Best answer by Tylertron21 20 December 2020, 17:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I’m also interested in this kind of information. I currently have a Pioneer Kuro with older (pre4k) ATV and Playbar 5.1 setup.

I’m thinking of upgrading to an LG 77” CX OLED TV and ATV4K, but that would also mean I’d have to really update the playbar to an Arc. 

having read all the horror stories about sync issues, Atmos reliability and crackles/popping I’m concerned about compatibility and reliability. 

is the Arc firmware reliable by now or is it a case of being a bit more patient and holding back investment until the compatibility issues are addressed? 

thanks in advance. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Arc compatibility remains a crapshoot.

Sonos have consistently refused to publish any compatibility data, despite them obviously tracking this internally.

Following. Just purchased LG CX thinking we were all set...overall I think it will be a terrific upgrade, but right now we’re dealing with cracks/pops and some Atmos irregularities. Have read several Sonos admin suggestions/threads saying to disable things like QuickStart+ but there are too many menus (and sub menus) between the LG, the ATV4k and the Sonos Arc to know what’s best.

Need a roadmap here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Now that I have everything I decided to take the leap and set things up based on the piecemeal information across these forums. I thought it would be good to document all the Setup, Settings along with Results/Questions for other people to reference. Unless noted it was the default settings that happened when I set up. Please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions or other ideas with this. I will update as I get feedback Thank you in advance.

*All things connected using a eero pro wireless mesh system using Spectrum at aprox 200/12 gb down/up. Room is 15’ x 12’ approx. that is closed on 3 sides but ½ open in back and open on right (from couch facing tv).

65” LG CX tv, version 13.30.11 (latest):

• I am able to control most functions with this remote, though sound says 6 for some reason.
  • Main Settings Tab: Picture Mode-DV; Sound Mode-No Sound; Sound Out-eArc
  • Sound Tab: Dolby Atmos-checked; Sound Mode Setting-Standard; Sound Out-HDMI Arc
  • Additional Settings: HDMI Input Audio Format-HDMI 1 (Apple 4KTV) Bitstream; HDMI 2 (Sonos Arc) PCM; HDMI 3 (Nintendo Switch) Bitstream; HDMI 4 (none, but will be Wii U) Bitstream. Digital Sound-Passthrough (I changed this). eArc-checked

Sonos Arc, version 12.2.2 (latest), wireless setup w/ Gen 3 Sub & 2 One SL surrounds:

• HDMI 2 (using supplied cord); tv is aprox. 10-12 ft away on Mount; Arc is below about 6 inches and forward towards front on media center about 8 inches; Sub is to the left half way between tv & couch on board (carpeted floor); One SLs are located as stated by Dolby behind and at proper angle
  • Volume Limit @ 80%; TV Autoplay-checked; Ungroup on Autoplay-checked; TV Dialog Sync-0; Group Audio Delay-Low; Use IR-checked; IR Signal-Off; IR Repeater-Off (turned the last two off because I accidentally started doing a manual setup and my Beam did not have these on).

AppleTV 4K, version 14.3 (latest):

• HDMI 1-Rocketfish 4K Ultra HD, 8 ft.
  • I am able to control the tv/volume etc. with the Apple Remote.
  • Resolution-2160 UHD, 60 Hz, Dolby Vision
  • Video & Audio Tab: Format-4K Dolby Vision; Match Content-Off; Default Audio Output-TV Speakers; Audio Format Dolby Digital 5.1 (changed this manually from Dolby Atmos because of all the issues); Audio Language-Default.
  • Apps Used: Hulu w/ Live (only get PCM 2.0), Netflix (5.1 but don’t have highest level yet), HBO Max (up to 5.1), Disney+ (up to 5.1), AppleTV+ w/ CBS & Showtime through here (up to 5.1)
  • Also will have a Nintendo Switch hooked up to HDMI 3 & Nintendo Wii U hooked up to HDMI 4 both using the same HDMI cord.

As of now, I am getting no popping or any issues so far (fingers crossed) that have been highlighted on the forum as I think this is the “safest” configuration.

Questions for Anyone to Help With:

1. Are any settings/equipment wrong or could be changed for this setup as it is? What are the ramifications & process to do so?
  2. If I were to activate Dolby Atmos what changes would have to be made and where? What are the ramifications & process to do so?
  3. Can the Sub be on the carpeted floor without impedence or should it stay on that board. 
  4. How do I fix that “6” Sound issue on volume for TV?
  5. Anything else I missed for now?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!!

A few things I noted that could be changed:

The IR repeater functions.  Try them on one at a time to see if that fixes the *volume always at 6*.

Hulu uses EC3 and AAC to send DD+5.1. I show DD+ 5.1 in the Sonos app with the free/ad version of Hulu. So it is odd you are getting 2.0PCM. Make sure you aren’t watchin an ad while checking this as ads are stereo.

It should be safe enable Dolby Atmos with the Apple 4k if that device is also up to date. Worth a shot. (I do not own one so I cannot check).

I have all my HDMI ports set to bitstream, even the eArc port and have had no issues what so ever getting the correct format to the Arc surround set up.  Game consoles, streaming apps, PC, UHD player. I see you have the eArc port to bitstream. I am curious what others would say about this.

I do not recommend a sub being on carpet, if it can be avoided. A solid & sturdy base would be best case scenario for bass response across the board. This approach may help dust/ carpet fibers from kicking up when you vacuum around the sub. Which would someday make their way into the internals of the enclosure. Dust & fibers don’t work well with electronics. Being one reason fitness company’s love to sell rubber mats for your workout equipment.  Also, it could just “sound better” not being on the carpet surface. But, that claim hinges on other factors about your room to say without an asterisk. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I took the plunge on the CX. Impressive set. Though not that huge a step up from the Kuro. decided to swerve the Arc as it still seems problematic. Happy with performance over optical to the Playbar with the built in apps for now. No sync issues observed on limited testing so far. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

So couple of updates on settings. I do have the LG update now that was just pushed out. Before the update I switched over to Atmos on the ATV4K, watched WW84 on HBOMax and got the Atmos logo in the Sonos app; switched to Hulu live tv (still with stupid PCM 2.0) and got the 1-2 second drop off and the big pop to start. So switched back to DD 5.1. After the LG update and resetting everything I did the exact same thing but DID NOT get the drop off so hopefully all good but we shall see. 

Still have the HDMI 2 port set at PCM while others at Bitstream. Any other thoughts on switching this?

Any ideas on how to get something besides PCM 2.0 with Hulu app?

Still haven’t been able to drop the CX volume to 0 even though I have enabled the other 2 settings. Suggestions?

Badge

I’m also interested in this kind of information. I currently have a Pioneer Kuro with older (pre4k) ATV and Playbar 5.1 setup.

I’m thinking of upgrading to an LG 77” CX OLED TV and ATV4K, but that would also mean I’d have to really update the playbar to an Arc. 

having read all the horror stories about sync issues, Atmos reliability and crackles/popping I’m concerned about compatibility and reliability. 

is the Arc firmware reliable by now or is it a case of being a bit more patient and holding back investment until the compatibility issues are addressed? 

thanks in advance. 

I’m running exactly the kit you are considering upgrading to.  LG OLED77CX, ATV4K, Sonos Arc, SubG3 and a pair of OneSL’s for the rear on my home theatre setup.

It all works perfectly together and is amazing, both Sonos audio and Dolby Vision with the ATV4K and LG CX!

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@D Reynolds 

thanks for the feedback, that’s good to hear. 

i’ve only been using in inbuilt ATV app so far. And no complaints. Still using the Playbar over optical. I’ll probably add the Arc and a 2nd. Sub to the playbar 5.1 mix eventually. In the meantime swapped out the play1 rears for Play 5s and so far very happy with the overall performance. 

i’m not even sure I need to get the dedicated 4K ATV at this point. Any advantage of having one over the in built app? 

Cheers  

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I think an upgraded ATV is coming out within the next few months if rumors are true. I would wait. We have 3 atvs and love them as our main source. Lots more access, flexibility, direct access to apps, apple games, homekit support, etc. Depending on how deep you are in the apple ecosystem it is a must. It’s a huge difference but that’s just me and I am an Apple fanboy.