TV suggestions (Costco)

• 8 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

The mega thread for TV info and suggestions is more than dead. I'm looking for people's experience with recently purchased TVs available at Costco that are ballpark 77" and have and success with the Sonos arc systems, cec, dolby atmos, etc. Anyone that has recently purchased one and has had success without all the problems we here about, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @Missionsparta, thank you for the post!

I can’t really assist you with this, but with my response your thread will go back to the top of the latest activity list.

Maybe someone who has recently purchased a 77’’ TV from Costco can jump in and provide you with feedback.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Thank you. Really appreciate it. Anthony chance of getting a mega sticky thread started again covering peoples good experiences with TVs and what TVs to avoid?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Anyone?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I guess TV sales are zilch. 🤣

I don’t think Sonos is the best place for this anyway. This community is about the speakers, not the devices that they connect to. In the rather infrequent case I’m in the market, I often look at rtings.com, and look for the version of HDMI in use, 2.1 with eARC is the minimum I’ll go for. But pretty much any new TV supports that, it’s not really a factor I worry too much about. 

Beyond looking at rtings.com, I’ll look at various web forums about displays, not speakers. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I don’t think Sonos is the best place for this anyway. This community is about the speakers, not the devices that they connect to. In the rather infrequent case I’m in the market, I often look at rtings.com, and look for the version of HDMI in use, 2.1 with eARC is the minimum I’ll go for. But pretty much any new TV supports that, it’s not really a factor I worry too much about. 

Beyond looking at rtings.com, I’ll look at various web forums about displays, not speakers. 

The eARC compatability works now where near as flawless as it should. If you read enough on here, there are non stop stories of tv's that flat out won't work (no volume control, no dolby, sync issues, etc) with different setups. Feel much better buying something that people have had work with the Arc and ni issues. 

Yea, different companies seem to execute the CEC standard differently, then scramble to fix it. Sonos hasn’t had any need to fix their side yet, but this isn’t really the place, IMHO, especially as what works this week for manufacturer X on model Y may not in their next update of firmware. Currently, Samsung is one of those…for specific models, it seems, but you rarely see issues from other manufacturers right now. That can easily change as they make changes to the CEC implementation they run. If a manufacturer makes a slight change to their implementation to support some extended command set on their own speakers, they often forget that they aren’t alone in the marketplace, the CEC standard needs to be supported.