Tv sound fades in and out

• 21 October 2018
  • 4 replies

I've connected my Samsung tv via rca jacks to buy sonia connect and play through Sonos 1 and 5. There is the slight delay which is not significant and if tv sound was turned down on tv not at all noticeable. But the sound will fade in and out about every 1 to 2 minutes. It's more than slightly distracting.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, jcd300. Do you mean that the sound level is fluctuating? That's strange. Regardless, we can certainly get to the bottom of this for you. Following an occurrence of this issue, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause. Many thanks in advance.
Thank you for the prompt response. I'll have to do this later when I get home and am connected to the system. The system works great, it only fades out when using the Sonos connect, which makes me question my connection. To be clear, I'm not certain "sound level fluctuation" is entirely accurate though it basically is. I'm a Spectrum customer (formerly Time Warner in our area) when connected from TV RCA jacks to Sonos Connect and listening to the audio of a movie coming through the cable box everything is fine for about 1 to 3 minutes and then the sound drops out, almost completely, for about 3 seconds, and then it comes back to normal. So it's not so much of a fluctuating wave as it is a momentary drop. I generally keep the TV volume on low so you can't hear the echo but its there enough to fill in the blanks, but it is actually very annoying. I'll complete the diagnostic and submit it. Thank you again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, jcd300. Not to worry. Likewise, thanks for getting back to me. Understood regarding the audio disruption, that is a potential issue that is more easily explained. WiFi interference is often the cause of these audio playback issues. Are any of your components cabled via Ethernet? If so, I would also suggest changing your Sonos wireless channel. If those links don't work, not to worry, just get back to us with that diagnostic in your own time and we will have a look. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Hi jcd300

Excellent advice by Edward R. Here's my suggestion....

I'd remove the Connect and try connecting audio direct from TV to Play 5 via RCA (TV) to 3.5mm (Play 5) and set the line-in to auto in the Sonos App. You could still group the Play 5 and Sonos ? (not sure if you mean Play:1 or Sonos One by your post)_not a biggy. By doing the above you mitigate (if not eliminate) Wi-Fi interference to Play 5 at least.

Cheers!