Answered

TV not recognizing Dolby Atmos with Arc

I have a 2020 LG CX series, and when I connect the Sonos Arc it does not appear to recognize it as dolby atmos compatible. When I select the TV internal speakers for the sound ouput the dolby vision/dolby atmos logo appears. When I switch to the hdmi e-arc input (sonos arc) it only displays dolby vision. I dont understand why it is not registering the dolby atmos with my sonos arc.

icon

Best answer by jthomas009 19 July 2020, 07:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Okay so it is showing atmos in the app, but I'm not getting the logo on the t.v. Is this normal? Is anyone else able to get the logo on the t.v. It sounds great still, but I'm not 100% sure that I'm actually getting the dolby Atmos.

Badge +1

Hey, I have the same Tv, and i normally just use my Apple TV but i tried to watch something just through lg’s apps to confirm this, but yea mine does the same thing, it doesn’t say Dolby Atmos on the tv itself, but it says that its on in the Sonos app.

Badge +1

Also, I just realized you have to manually turn the Earc setting on, but it still didnt make the Dolby Atmos logo show up, but just in case you didnt know either, that might help with something 

Hi. They only shows up together on tv screen with internal speakers being used.  With Sonos Arc connected, you have to check the Sonos app to see if its Atmos playing.   Don’t know why it is like this.

Also, I just realized you have to manually turn the Earc setting on, but it still didnt make the Dolby Atmos logo show up, but just in case you didnt know either, that might help with something 

Do you mean the TV settings? Or Sonos app?

Now my magic remote is not controlling the arc. It was working fine, but now I cannot get it to connect.

Badge +1

Do you mean the TV settings? Or Sonos app?

In the tv settings 

I just checked Sniper YouTube video. I see HDR on TV and no Dolby Atmos in the app.

I played Extraction on Netflix. It shows Dolby Vision on TV and Dolby Atmos on Sonos app. It is weird.

Any calibration settings for CX

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same issue here.

The SONOS app will correctly show the output is Atmos, which is perfect. But the LG CX will not show the Dolby Atmos confirmation logo at top right of screen, like it does for Dolby Vision.

(Edit - While watching Dolby Vision/Atmos content - if I head to the Sound Options on TV, then additional setting - when I de-select and select again the e-arc toggle option, both logos will indeed pop up on-screen. But that is a one-time thing, it doesn’t happen when starting new content after that. So if it can do it once, why can’t it do it all the time?)

This seems like something LG could easily and should update via firmware patch. The SONOS Arc falls in line perfectly with the capabilities of the TV - capabilities advertised on the box, and why many might purchase a CX model. With all the different audio formats now out there, the experience of having the TV confirming when something is HDR, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos  is reassuring, and somewhat pleasing. 

2. Also, the eArc standard is said to automatically get rid of sync issues, I thought. But after initial set up, and as I read the support forums about connecting these 2 products, there seems to be a couple of tweaks to be made in order to get the sync right - it doesn’t just work. (Just now I set the LG audio sync to “bypass”, and something seemed to have aligned better, but had to turn off for now, and will check later tonight.)

It seems logical that if all audio passes through the eArc port to the Arc soundbar, that any peripheral device hooked up via HDMI, and native webOS apps and channels, will directly sync! Seems like something LG could patch too? A Dolby Atmos equipped TV, and aDolby Atmos equipped eArc audio device, in the words of Steve Jobs, should… just… work, in my opinion.

Just some quirks I noticed. Really happy with the product overall, but looking to perfect the experience.

Same issue here.

The SONOS app will correctly show the output is Atmos, which is perfect. But the LG CX will not show the Dolby Atmos confirmation logo at top right of screen, like it does for Dolby Vision.

(Edit - While watching Dolby Vision/Atmos content - if I head to the Sound Options on TV, then additional setting - when I de-select and select again the e-arc toggle option, both logos will indeed pop up on-screen. But that is a one-time thing, it doesn’t happen when starting new content after that. So if it can do it once, why can’t it do it all the time?)

This seems like something LG could easily and should update via firmware patch. The SONOS Arc falls in line perfectly with the capabilities of the TV - capabilities advertised on the box, and why many might purchase a CX model. With all the different audio formats now out there, the experience of having the TV confirming when something is HDR, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos  is reassuring, and somewhat pleasing. 

2. Also, the eArc standard is said to automatically get rid of sync issues, I thought. But after initial set up, and as I read the support forums about connecting these 2 products, there seems to be a couple of tweaks to be made in order to get the sync right - it doesn’t just work. (Just now I set the LG audio sync to “bypass”, and something seemed to have aligned better, but had to turn off for now, and will check later tonight.)

It seems logical that if all audio passes through the eArc port to the Arc soundbar, that any peripheral device hooked up via HDMI, and native webOS apps and channels, will directly sync! Seems like something LG could patch too? A Dolby Atmos equipped TV, and aDolby Atmos equipped eArc audio device, in the words of Steve Jobs, should… just… work, in my opinion.

Just some quirks I noticed. Really happy with the product overall, but looking to perfect the experience.

What tweaks did you make on the TV. Can you share the tweaks you made thus far. I will try the toggle option to see if Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision shows up. What is the bypass option for and did it make a difference?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @NightRider_ 

I read about it in another thread, that turning off the LG Sync Adjustment option all together fixed all sync issues for that person, and then a few people seconded that working for them too. I believe they were talking about selecting “bypass” on the menu - it comes up after selecting to adjust the LG Sync Adjustment, at bottom of screen.

This seems to have made something better, after watching regular LG Channels, all seems to be in sync. Will have to check with a Blu Ray and apps later. 

Re: tweaks I made to adjust sync prior to this - last night (first night with the product) after much trial and error. I put the SONOS app dialog sync at level 2, and the LG Sync Adjustment bar at #3. This seemed to really help out. But after selecting “bypass” for the TV Sync this morning, I’ve now turned the SONOS sync level back to 0. The other minor tweak was making sure the eArc was set to on in the TV’s settings, as it did not turn on automatically when connected to the soundbar.

Will see how it goes tonight.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

After checking with a Disney plus movie and with Netflix 4K content, it seems in sync, but then perhaps still a lip trail after dialogue - while having TV Sync in bypass mode and Sonos app tv dialog sync Setting to 0. Setting it to 0 or 3 seems to be almost perfect. Very hard to tell sometimes. Need dialogue heavy content, and will further review. Still need to try a blu ray. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I realize I’ve now merged the topic of this thread from the Atmos logo not appearing, to lip sync. Pardon the bad etiquette. 
To continue about the lip sync though… I must take back my confirmation that setting the tv to bypass was working. I’ve now found it to be out of sync on both blu ray ultra hd and webOS apps. What did seem to work was setting the Sonos sync level to 5 and the LG sync level to 4. YMMV I suppose. It’s interesting though - to my knowledge, eArc and hdmi 2.1 were supposed to mitigate or put an end to the lip sync dilemma.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-audio-return-channel-and-earc-for-beginners/

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Well, trying on YouTube TV now, and selecting Bypass lip sync on TV and setting sync to 0 in Sonos app once again works for me.