Answered

Turntable - with Arc surround sound (and Samsung One Connect box)

• 17 May 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 14 replies

Hi. I’ve pre-ordered a Arc Surround Sound package and have a TV on the way which uses the Samsung One Connect box.

I’d like to add a record player into this setup but...

1. Am I right to think I have to buy a Sonos Amp in order to connect my turntable to Sonos? Or can the Arc accept direct input from a turntable like the Play5 can? (I assume a Sonos Port is no good because I don’t have a separate amp).
  2. I’d like to locate the record player on a sideboard well away from the TV. The TV runs all it’s connections into a One Connect box and so the Arc (I think) will physically connect to that. Do I connect my Sonos Amp to the Samsung One Connect box as well - or directly to the Arc speaker? (will the Arc have enough ports to simultaneously have cables connecting from the One Connect box and the Sonos Port?).

Thanks to anyone that knows!

icon

Best answer by John B 17 May 2020, 12:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Sorry you have that totally wrong.  The good news is that things are better than you describe. You don’t need an Amp, but a Port.  Sonos speakers are amplified speakers and so you have no need for amplification.

But for not much more money than a Port you could buy a Five and get a really good speaker, and connect the turntable to that.

There is no need for a physical connection between the Port / Five and the Arc or Samsung One.  Any Sonos line-in is available as a source to any Sonos device in the system.

Further observation.  Your profile says you have a Sonos Connect.  Is that ‘modern’ or ‘legacy’?  If it is compatible with Sonos S2 you could connect the turntable to that and not buy anything.  What is the Connect being used for?

Edit: and you have a gen 1 Play:5 you could trade up.

Badge +2

Fantastic, thanks for the help John.

I used my trade up to get a great discount on the Arc Surround Sound package.

Great to hear I don’t need an amp.

I don’t think I do have a Connect unfortunately. My

profile must be wrong.

So I need to just choose between a five or a port and locate that device within cable-reach of the turntable.

——

Would this work?

Put the turntable in my lounge with the Arc system. Connect it via cable under the floorboards to a Five In a different room. Change the settings so the turntable auto plays from the Arc system.

That way I wouldn’t have the Five and Arc system in the same room, which would probably be sound overkill - and also wouldn’t have to keep putting a record on but switching the sound output away from the Five in the other room.

Yes that would work. If you can accommodate the Five it would, IMO, be a much better buy than a Port. The Port is designed to turn a traditional amp and speakers into a Sonos player, with the line in as a useful bolt on. You would be paying a lot of money just for the bolt on.

Picking up a 'modern' Connect on eBay would be a cheaper way to get the line in, but I would go for the Five!

Badge +2

Brilliant, thanks for your help John. 

Hi agm

how did you go?
Can you use a converter to digital for your turntable output, and put that straight into the Samsung one connect (my turntable has built in pre amp)

i currently do that with my turntable and it gots into my old sonos playbar

I hope to one day upgrade sound bar to arc and Samsung tv to new model with one connect and do this

noel

I am sorry but I couldn't follow how you were able to connect your turntable to the arc.

Is is possible?

If so, can you walk me through the steps? I have a the arc and the samsung one connect.

Thank you

Not sure its possible if you are using a connect.

Originally i wasnt.

Turntable sound went through an analogue to digital converter.

Digital went into a digital splitter. So did TV audio.

Then splitter into sonos playbar. I had to manually change splitter each time i swapped from TV to turntable.

Cannot do that with Arc and connect box i dont think.

I just bought a port.  Its better. Turntable now sits in another corner separated from all that stuff and goes straight into port.

works great

i didnt get that 5 as i just have more than enough speakers throughout house