Skip to main content
Question

Trueplay settings after Sub On/Off Within App

• 18 July 2024
  • 5 replies

I would like to ask what will happen if I add a Sonos Sub Mini to my surround system ( Beam Gen 2 and two Sonos Era 100 speakers ) as far as I know the low frequencies go to the sub. If I use Trueplay to set up all the speakers and then decide to turn off only the sub using the toggle button from the app, what will happen?

Does the system only remember the current Trueplay setting ( Beam Gen 2 /  2 x Era 100 / Sub Mini ) or when turning the sub-Mini off via the toggle button from the app the system will revert to “old” trueplay settings ( Beam Gen 2 /  2 x Era 100 ) and restore low frequencies to them.

5 replies

I would like to ask what will happen if I add a Sonos Sub Mini to my surround system ( Beam Gen 2 and two Sonos Era 100 speakers ) as far as I know the low frequencies go to the sub. If I use Trueplay to set up all the speakers and then decide to turn off only the sub using the toggle button from the app, what will happen? choiceADVANTAGE

Does the system only remember the current Trueplay setting ( Beam Gen 2 /  2 x Era 100 / Sub Mini ) or when turning the sub-Mini off via the toggle button from the app the system will revert to “old” trueplay settings ( Beam Gen 2 /  2 x Era 100 ) and restore low frequencies to them.

Hello,

When you add a Sonos Sub Mini to your surround system, Trueplay optimizes the sound based on the room acoustics and speaker placement. If you later decide to turn off only the Sub Mini using the app toggle button, the system will retain the current Trueplay settings (Beam Gen 2 / 2 x Era 100 / Sub Mini). The low frequencies will continue to be directed to the Sub Mini, even when it’s turned off. So, your Era 100 speakers won’t revert to the “old” Trueplay settings. Enjoy your enhanced audio experience! 

Best regards,
florence023 

Moderator edit: this post may be AI generated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I would like to ask what will happen if I add a Sonos Sub Mini to my surround system ( Beam Gen 2 and two Sonos Era 100 speakers ) as far as I know the low frequencies go to the sub. If I use Trueplay to set up all the speakers and then decide to turn off only the sub using the toggle button from the app, what will happen?

The bigger question is why would you set it all up on Trueplay and then turn off the sub? This is a very specific use case so I’m just curious as to why you would need to know this.

The next biggest question is why Florence023 keeps popping on old threads with AI-originated responses….

Userlevel 2
Badge

The bigger question is why would you set it all up on Trueplay and then turn off the sub? This is a very specific use case so I’m just curious as to why you would need to know this.

The next biggest question is why Florence023 keeps popping on old threads with AI-originated responses….

I can't understand why you're worried about my question.
I think the Sonos community is the place where users have the opportunity to ask questions and share their knowledge.

Regarding my question, I am not sure that my use case is as specific as you said.

The short answer is:
As a user, I would like to have the flexibility and the opportunity to have both trueplay settings when switching on/off the sub. 
When the sub switch is OFF, I would like low frequencies to be directed to the Sonos Beam and 2x Era 100. 
When the sub switch is ON, low frequencies to be directed to the Sub Mini.

The long answer :
I really like the Sonos sub mini and the sound it produces. In my case, I only use it when watching movies or listening to music on weekends when I have free time. I have a neighbor who becomes upset when there's too much noise, so I try not to disturb them frequently. During the rest of the week, my child watches cartoons and my wife watches the National Geographic channel, so the sub is not necessary at those times. 

Initially, when the system only consisted of the soundbar ( Beam Gen 2 )and rear speakers ( 2x Era 100 ), the sound was rich, and the bass was powerful. Adding a sub mini to my system improved the sound even more and the bass became even stronger and clearer, but when I turn off the subwoofer via the toggle button the sound is flat and the bass is weak.

Regarding your post, I don’t understand what you are referring to?

"Florence023 keeps commenting on old threads with AI-generated responses…"

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks, @Kamarinchev. I should have been clearer and less accusing. The reason for my question is that you can tap “Night Sound” on the Now Playing screen when watching TV, and it reduces a lot of the sub’s bass. All I am getting at is that rather than turning the sub off, you can just put it into Night Sound mode and it will retain your Trueplay dynamics but without the depth of bass. If that might be helpful?

(And re. the other question, Florence023 tends to find old unanswered threads, type the question into ChatGPT and then paste it into the thread. Sometimes the results give unnecessary or old or inaccurate, advice. If Florence023 isn't in fact a bot.)

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Rhonny Thank you very much for the advice.

To be honest with you, I've never tried the "Night Sound" settings :). I definitely will try it this weekend. 
I was wondering why there's such a significant difference in sound quality when I'm using the Beam Gen 2 and 2 x Era 100 compared to using the Beam Gen 2, 2 x Era 100, and Sub Mini with the Toggle OFF. In my mind, both should produce the same sound quality, so I'm confused about the difference and why, in that case, the soundbar with the two rear speakers sounded better. 
Anyway I will try the "Night Sound" settings.