Question

To prevent wireless disturbance

• 24 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi experts!
I was in touch with the support yesterday regarding that my Sonos One suddenly disappeared from and could not play. After sending in diagnostics, it was confirmed that i have a lot of wireless disturbance where the speaker is located, although there’s absolutely nothing else using wireless close to it. Well, never mind, to prevent this is i was asked to change the wireless channel that Sonos uses to something else, that is not used by the router. 
My problem is that my router is set to auto, so what’s your recommendation here?
It feels like going in and change those channels in the router can actually make it worse... 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Set the router to channel 1, 6 or 11; set SonosNet to a different one of those three channels. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @TobbeWilson.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.  In addition of @nik9669a information.

Here are router settings that need to be verified. You can contact your ISP or the manufacturer of the router for assistance.

a. Auto channel must be set to Off

b. Choose best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)

c. Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz

d. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled

e. 802.11 band should be set to b/g/n

f. Airtime Fairness should be disabled

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge +2

Thanks for quick answers, so both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled but should channel bw be set to 20Mhz for both? Because i read that:

“If you use 2.4 Ghz broadcasting radio, you should use 20 Mhz for the channel width. The simple reason is that 20 Mhz is really a supportive measure for your older devices. Using 20 Mhz on a 5 Ghz radio setting defeats the purpose of actually using 5 Ghz radio setting.

The only exception is that you somehow has a devices that support 5 Ghz broadcasting while only accepting a 20 Mhz bandwidth, however that is fairly uncommon. But if that does happen, see if your router supports duo bandwidth for both 20 Mhz and 40 Mhz.”

And for that reason, i set my 2.4Ghz to 20Mhz and channel 11 (Sonos has 6), and i left my 5Ghz to 20/40/80 and channel to auto.

i set my 2.4Ghz to 20Mhz and channel 11 (Sonos has 6), and i left my 5Ghz to 20/40/80 and channel to auto.

That’s fine.