Tidal Masters via Fire TV Stock 4K

• 24 May 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Please excuse the titles typo. Smartphones auto typing is terrible.

I have lived with and accepted Sonos will only playback 16/44.1, and I have been happy with the end results. 

I recently discovered my Fire TV stick 4K can have the Tidal app downloaded upon it and in the Tidal apps settings allows me to set playback upto Masters.

Does this mean I can playback music greater than 16/44.1 from the Fire TV Stick 4K as the DAC in it or the TV via HDMI is doing the conversion rather than the Sonos Beams DAC?

I haven't had much time to play around with this in that I want to setup my 2 of One SL's as a stereo pair and allow the Beam to handle the receiving music stream to push via a wireless connection to the stereo pair. Would this give a higher playback than 16/44.1.

I know Sonos are due to release the S2 app and hardware updates to allow hi-res streams. 

Food for thought. Could Sonos confirm what I have discovered!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Would this give a higher playback than 16/44.1.

No.

Leaving aside the merits (or lack thereof, according to notable audio professionals) of MQA, this scheme has a number of potential flaws.

Firstly the TV might mangle the FireStick’s bitstream in unpleasant ways.

But also the way a Beam would send its “TV” input to the grouped Ones would involve some slight loss of quality, as this audio is lightly compressed using a lossy codec. 

If it’s quality you’re after you’d be much better off taking standard Red Book 16/44 FLAC directly into the Sonos players, as you do currently.

Hi. There is no way of getting more than 16/44.1 (or is it 48? whatever) currently.

I don't think the DAC is the only issue, but in any case as the feed to the Beam is digital, the Beam's DAC is clearly being used (if playing on the Beam)