Things I found on my Sony TV with ARC and what will play Atmos, might apply to your TV too

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

My main source is Apple TV 4K and I can't get any ATMOS for it to my 55 inch Sony X930E. Bummer since thats my main source for all content. Using the built in TV apps, which I normally never use, I can get ATMOS from Amazon Prime and Vudu Jack Ryan sounds great in ATMOS with ARC, Sonos sub, and One SL rears. My understanding is the Fire TV has more apps that do ATMOS with the ARC like Netflix, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime. I don't really want to use Fire TV though. Even though my TV is only a few years old I am thinking about getting a new one that does eARC. Newer ones also do Airplay 2, Siri, and iTunes which I also want to maybe it's worth it to upgrade the TV. Anyone know what format Amazon Prime uses for ATMOS? Apparently my TV can't deal with iTunes ATMOS which uses MAT and would been to be converted by the TV to do DD+ to play on the ARC. iTunes movies have great quality all the way around with a lot of ATMOS titles so I'd really prefer to use that or iTunes built into a TV. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Actually the Fire TV 4k Stick is lacking. It gives Atmos from Amazon Prime Video only, no Netflix, no Disney+, No Apple+.  The Fire TV Cube supposedly has Atmos on these apps, but I’ve not got one to test. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I was referring to the cube not the stick.  Not that I have either just what others are reporting.

Moderators, it might be valuable to move this thread to the Home a Theater area of the forum.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am in the same boat. I have Sony X930E and I got atmost just from Prime Video App. I dont plan to upgrade my TV. I have apple tv 4K but no atmos from that. If someone can confirm that Fire TV cube can output Atmos on Netflix, Disney Plus , I would be willing to give it a shot.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Check out the AVS forum where there is a long ongoing thread about the X930E in general and lately one person has been talking about which apps on the cube are giving him Atmos.  It starts with Mr Retina on 6/12 and he says

“Fire tv cube 2nd gen plugged into HDMI 2, ARC in HDMI 3 arc of course. Netflix-Dv/atmos, Disney plus-Dv/atmos. Amazon DV/atmos. Apple TV+ HDR10/DD+ No Atmos. It’s seems the fire tv cube 2nd gen is the best external box support for atmos with the 930e/Sonos arc combo so far.”

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2772009-official-2017-sony-xbr-x930e-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-368.html

I’ll repeat something else I said which is Apple TV gives quite a bit better video quality than the built in TV Prime app.  Maybe Cube does too, I don’t know. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So Fire Cube is a very good alternative for streaming content with DV & Atmos for Netflix, Disney Plus and Prime. I wonder if the fire stick 4k support that too. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I have seen people say the Fire stick does not support as much as the Cube but I don’t know that for a fact or seen any details.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So will lose the Apple TV4K, which I really like. The other option is to get the HDFury eARC adapter, but thats again an expensive workaround. I wish Sonos would have included HDMI In at this price.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

No way would I get a Cube instead of Apple TV myself.  From what I’ve read the Cube has a terrible interface, is slow, and they keep pushing Amazon content.  Apple also prioritizes privacy and video and sound quality.  You can always try it and return it if it doesn’t work out.  Yes they should have included another HDMI port but my guess is they don’t want to pay the licensing fee.  I don’t find Atmos on the Arc to be that compelling compared to 5.1 and think people would notice it more if they also had rear upfiring speakers.  I don’t know that there is enough of a market for that for Sonos to bother with though.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Spot on, I too dont want to get the Cube as an apple tv replacement. Have you looked at the HDfury solution? I am still undecided if I should give it a shot. I am not sure if its worth the money for Atmos through Arc. Sonos is already charging a premium price for ARC, there was no reason to save on the licensing cost for the HDMI IN.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I have looked at it. It’s awhile out and I just might get a new tv and put this one in my gym or something. I’d like HomeKit, Airplay 2, and eArc on my tv and also a 65 inch instead of 55 or  I might just do nothing.