Answered

Surround Sounds Settings - Music

• 26 July 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

I just bought the Beam and two play:1s as rear speakers for the surround sounds. They all work great, I have the beam connected to my LG B7 through HDMI, and in additional to that, I also have an Apple TV. While all the TV & Movies sound great, no problems.

The setting within the Sonos App where you can tweak the rear speakers, so they can be louder also response to my liking. However, when playing music (through Apple Music on the Apple TV), the Music setting within the App doesn’t response like it does for TV sounds. Then I figured it out, that if I Airplay 2 the music to the beam instead of playing it directly on Apple TV, the setting kicks in and work as it should. For example the setting where you can chose if the rear speakers should be in the back ground or play full.

Can somebody explain the above behavior? Thanks
Maybe it is bad explained, if it is needed I will try and rephrase it, please let me know.
icon

Best answer by iwb100 26 July 2018, 11:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I'm assuming this is because when playing music through the Apple TV the Beam sees this as a TV signal and maintains the TV settings, rather than seeing it as music when you airplay straight to the device....
Yeah, that makes sense. Just annoying I have to AP2 every time I want to listen to music from Apple TV them... ?
Yeah, that makes sense. Just annoying I have to AP2 every time I want to listen to music from Apple TV them... ? Totally agree. I use Direct TV and I'm not sure what kind of audio signal they send. Only Netflix movies automatically sends sound to the surrounds.
I have a Genie system from DirecTV, there's a setting in the software where you can define whether it sends your TV Stereo or Dolby Digital. I've got it set to Dolby Digital, and it works just fine.
By the way, you can see in the Sonos app what the soundbar is receiving from your TV. While the TV is on, go in to the controller app, select more, then settings, and then About My Sonos System. You'll see a line underneath the Beam's heading that says Audio In: Mine says (watching Sunday Night Football right now) Audio In: Dolby Digital 5.1