surround sound to get dolby atmos

• 22 January 2024
  • 11 replies

I have a sonos Beam 2= 2SL speakers and 2 Ikea symfonisk Frames. All are connected tp apple tv 4k and LG Tv that supports ARC. I recently purchase a eArc converter.  want to create surround sound. I have 3 questions 

1. How to best place all the speakers to get dolby or surround sound
  2. where to place my Ikea speakers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You wont need an eARC converter to crate surround sound. ARC does do surround, and Atmos from compressed streams like most streaming services.

1. The Beam can best be put under your TV
  2. The surrounds should be on both sides behind you at ear height.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m not sure what you mean by “All are connected [to the tv]”. Your Beam provides the 3 front channels. If you’ve bonded the One SL’s as surround, that brings you to 5.x   You can use a pair of Ones or a pair of Symfonisks as rear/surround speakers. In a Sonos system, that’s it - a 5.x system. You can add 1 or 2 Subs, but no more.

Surround speakers should be located behind your normal tv viewing position. 

Edited to add: @106rallye types faster than me 😜

You wont need an eARC converter to crate surround sound. ARC does do surround, and Atmos from compressed streams like most streaming services.

1. The Beam can best be put under your TV
  2. The surrounds should be on both sides behind you at ear height.

I have the Beam under the TV, right now the One SL’s are on both sides at ear level placed at the corner of the room. I have also placed the symfonisks temporarily on the same side as One SL but about in the center almost 1 feet below the celling. Planning to add a sub later. but not sure if placing the One SL and Frames on the same wall is an over kill  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I really don’t understand your setup and configuration.

Do you have any speakers bonded to the Beam as surrounds?
Do you have any speakers stereo-paired? 

How many rooms do you have grouped to play the tv sound?

I have One SL  both speakers bonded with Beam as surround

I have symfonisk as stereo paired but not linked as surround. Its just 1 room 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

As far as I know not every tv that has got a HDMI ARC input also supports Atmos. I would check the tech specs of the tv for this. 
But I think in case of AppleTV for Atmos an eARC connection is necessary at all. 
So the HD Fury Arcana or the FeinTech VAX04101 would do the job. 
Or is there a way to use Atmos on AppleTV just with an ARC connection?

Without Atmos for DD5.1 or DTS the ARC connection to the tv of course will work fine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@rahularan 

So there are TWO and not one room. The Beam+OneSL as a surround setup is one room and the frames as a stereo pair are another room. You would be able to pair them as a group, but imho that would make no sense for surround sound, especially in the rear. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I have One SL  both speakers bonded with Beam as surround

I have symfonisk as stereo paired but not linked as surround. Its just 1 room 

In your original post you said you “want to create surround sound”. Your Beam and bonded One SL’s are set up to deliver this. Just get your tv to send a DD signal. The Ikea speakers are redundant in this use case. 

As far as I know not every tv that has got a HDMI ARC input also supports Atmos. I would check the tech specs of the tv for this. 
But I think in case of AppleTV for Atmos an eARC connection is necessary at all. 
So the HD Fury Arcana or the FeinTech VAX04101 would do the job. 
Or is there a way to use Atmos on AppleTV just with an ARC connection?

i got this and it seems to work https://www.easycoolav.com/products/hdmi-splitter-4k-60hz-arc-earc-for-soundbar

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@rahularan 

Not sure what you are doing with this switch/splitter and how you connect your devices to it, but imho you can’t get Atmos sound with this from an AppleTV to your Sonos Beam2. The Beam has got a HDMI OUT with ARC and does need a HDMI IN with ARC at the other end. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

And just to add one thing to the „need of eARC for AppleTV“… I know in theory a tV with just an ARC connection and Atmos support to Sonos Arc or Beam2 would work, if it could convert the Dolby Mat into a DD+ Signal. But I never saw a tv that was  able to do so and if there are some, I suppose it will be a very small number.