Answered

Surround sound options

• 30 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi, I've recently purchased a Sonos Beam and two Sonos One SL speakers in order to create a sound sound/home cinema set up. 

I've successfully set up the two One SL's as surround sound speakers but its not quite what I was expecting - when watching TV it only plays certain sounds through the One SLs, such as background music etc. 

I would like a true surround sound experience and by that I mean I would like to hear more/all audio coming from the satellite speakers opposed to just background noise. 

Could someone please confirm what my options are? Any help would be much appreciated! 

FYI I've already put the music playback to full and increased the TV level in the app. 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 30 December 2020, 23:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

First make sure you’re playing Dolby Digital 5.1 (System-About my system in the Sonos app). If you are there that is “true surround sound”. There is no more surround on a Beam with One’s. Suround sound is what it says on the tin: you hear applause in a concert, bird song in a park scene, helicopters flying over and the occasional bomb going off behind you. All important sounds and especially voices should be coming from the Beam - to the ear from your screen. Action movies give a more enveloping sound, in other movies it’s just some extra ambiance.

First make sure you’re playing Dolby Digital 5.1 (System-About my system in the Sonos app). If you are there that is “true surround sound”. There is no more surround on a Beam with One’s. Suround sound is what it says on the tin: you hear applause in a concert, bird song in a park scene, helicopters flying over and the occasional bomb going off behind you. All important sounds and especially voices should be coming from the Beam - to the ear from your screen. Action movies give a more enveloping sound, in other movies it’s just some extra ambiance.

Thanks for the response and confirmation. 

I've taken a look and currently my audio in is "Stereo/PCM". After doing some googling it seems that I need to change a setting on my TV to fix the issue and change the output to Dolby Digital 5.1. 

Thanks again for the help, appreciate it.