Question

Soundbar dts

• 17 October 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +3
I have a soundbar and love it. When listening to a dts track it cone though as stereo, still sounds good.
I was wondering, it dts a hardware of software upgrade.
If t
Sonos were ever to release a soundbar 2 which had the ability to decode dts, and knowing how good sonos are with backgrading their support for software, it is possible for this to be added to the playbar by way of software upgrade or is it a hardware thing making that impossible?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
It is also a financial issue. If Sonos implements DTS they will have to pay license fees to DTS, for products they have already sold.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You have found the playbar Achilles heal, sorry.
It should be on the box, DTS NOT SUPPORTED with certain TV's you will only get simulated surround or stereo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You have found the playbar Achilles heal, sorry.
It should be on the box, DTS NOT SUPPORTED with certain TV's you will only get simulated surround or stereo.

It is certainly the case that there has been a lot of discussion around the ability to play DTS audio and more latterly Dolby Digital +. Just to correct a couple of your errors.

If the Playbar receives DTS via the optical input you will hear NOTHING. Also, why would Sonos write on the packaging the things the Playbar can't do? Which other manufacturer does that? And how big would their boxes need to be or small the writing? "Does not do the dishes". " Warning: cannot cook carrots" "Not available in pink". "Does not float"

By all means bemoan the fact that the Playbar cannot handle DTS. Just leave the other nonsense out of it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well yeah ok I take your point.
Joe public can always take it back when they find out, if they notice its only stereo, but it could be too late.
If I spent £599 plus surrounds ,on 5.1 a/v gear I would expect it to give me 5.1 from any source, PS4,blue ray, whatever...not pick hairs over why It couldn't do it.
Badge +3
Thank you for the replies. I understand it isn't supported. I was just wondering if it ever happened is it a hardware or software upgrade as if it is the latter then potentially it could be in a software upgrade.
I, for one, would be quite pleased if they would put "does not float" on the packaging....

🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
That would mean it's innocent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
No, if it drowns it is innocent.